JAMES W. MANHARDT.
Among the enterprising and reliable dealers in real estate in Knoxville must be numbered James W. Manhardt, who
was born on the 18th of May, 1868, in Marion county, a son of Frederick and Sarah (Gregory) Manhardt. The former
was born in France but when four years old was brought by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Manhardt, to this country,
the family home being established in Pennsylvania, but in 1816 Frederick Manhardt came to Marion county, Iowa.
At one time he owned the lot where the Knoxville National Bank now stands, and some idea of the early realty values
can be obtained from noting that he received it and two hundred dollars in trade for a span of mules. He made the
journey to this county with the Bobst family, who settled at Marysville, where he lived for a time. In his early
life he was a carpenter but eventually devoted his time to farming. He passed away in 1906. His wife, who was in
her maidenhood Miss Sarah Gregory, was born in Indiana, a daughter of James T. and Harriet (Ridlen) Gregory. In
1849, when but a child of four years, she accompanied her parents to this county. Her father entered government
land on sections 35 and 36, Clay township, but later removed to a farm in the vicinity of Knoxville, where he lived
for many years, and then took up his abode in Knoxville, where he passed away on the 13th of September, 1913. His
wife died on the 24th of April, 1914. Their daughter, Mrs. Manhardt, survives. She is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church, as was Mr. Manhardt, who was a prohibitionist in politics. To their union were born the following
children: Mary L., now Mrs. G. E. Gregory and a resident of Kansas; Emma, who is also living in the Sunflower state
and is the wife of C. I. Rose; James W., of this review; and Minnie, who married C. A. Koenig, a resident of Knoxville.
James W. Manhardt is indebted to the public schools of the county for his educational advantages and as a boy also
learned the principles of farming under the instruction of his father. He followed agricultural pursuits for a
number of years after arriving at maturity, but in December, 1901, removed to Knoxville and entered the real estate
business, in which he has since engaged. He has a thorough knowledge of realty values in the county, both as regards
town property and farm lands, and has negotiated many important transfers of title. The volume of his business
has increased steadily from year to year and yields him a good income.
Mr. Manhardt was married in October, 1891, to Miss Ella V. Druet, a native of this county and a daughter of Dr.
S. and Rosa (Abbott) Druet. They were early residents of Davis county, this state, and about 1870 removed to Marysville.
They now reside at Anamosa. To Mr. and Mrs. Manhardt were born five children as follows: Charles W., Clara, Minnie,
one who died in infancy, and Sarah.
Mr. Manhardt is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and exercises his right of suffrage by supporting the
candidates of the republican party. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias. He owns two fine
farms but rents them to others, concentrating his energies upon his real estate business, which returns to him
gratifying profits. He is one of the well known and highly respected residents of Knoxville, esteemed alike for
his business ability and for his integrity of character.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium