In the death of Edward Loynachan, Marion county lost a representative citizen who for a long period had been ranked
with the prominent and successful farmers and business men of Clay township. He passed away at his home there on
the 3d of September, 1906, when he had reached the age of seventy two years, five months and twenty two days. He
was a native of Argyleshire, Scotland, and during his childhood was brought to the new world, the family home being
established in Washington county, Ohio. There he remained throughout the period of his minority and on the 14th
of April, 1857, he came to Marion county, his destination being Bellefontaine, near the present town of Tracy.
He made his way up the Des Moines river and joined his brother David, who had preceded him to this state.
The brothers had previously worked on and along the Ohio river and had saved their money with the hope of ultimately
investing in property, and after reaching this county they purchased a tract of between two and three hundred acres
of government land in the vicinity of the present village of Durham. They lived in a log cabin on the land belonging
to the brother, making their home together for some years, but ultimately Edward Loynachan built a house on his
own land and kept bachelor's hall for six or seven years. Together the brothers broke the sod with ox teams and
made rails from which they built a fence. They added other improvements from time to time as opportunity permitted
and in the course of years the once wild prairie which came into their possession was transformed into a valuable
farm property supplied with all modern equipments and conveniences in the way of buildings and machinery, while
the land was brought to a high state of cultivation. That success in large measure crowned the intelligently directed
labors of Edward Loynachan is indicated in the fact that he was at one time the owner of seven hundred and seventy
one and a half acres in Clay and Knoxville townships and was thus numbered among the large landowners of Marion
On the 27th of February, 1873, Mr. Loynachan was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary E. Spohn, who was born in Highland
county, Ohio, January 3, 1854, but lost her parents in early girlhood and was reared by an aunt. She came to Marion
county just prior to the outbreak of the Civil war and since 1907 has resided at Knoxville, owning and occupying
a fine home at No. 1414 Montgomery street. She is still the owner of valuable farming property and her farm is
operated by a son. Mrs. Loynachan is a member of the Presbyterian church, which her husband attended and supported,
and she also has membership with the Rebekahs of Knoxville.
To Mr. and Mrs. Loynachan were born three children: Oda May, now the wife of J. A. Hammond, mentioned elsewhere
in this volume; Clark C., who was born in 1879 and married Bertha Rouze, by whom he has four children; and David
H., who was born December 14, 1890, and married Ethel Whitlatch. They have one child, a daughter. Mr. Loynachan
exercised his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and kept well informed
on the questions and issues of the day but was not an aspirant for office. He felt that the pursuits of private
life were in themselves abundantly worthy of his best efforts and he concentrated his energies upon his farming
with the result that he won a creditable place among the substantial citizens of Clay township and by his honorable
business methods gained the respect and good will of all.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium