Dr. C. E. James has been continuously engaged in the general practice of medicine and surgery at Durham for
the past twenty seven years and is widely recognized as an able and successful representative of the profession
in Marion county. His birth occurred in Warren county, Iowa, on the 5th of December, 1851, his parents being S.
V. R. and Dorcas Anne (Kenyon) James. In 1843 the former took up his abode in Warren county, this state, and both
he and his wife now lie buried in Palmyra, that county. To them were born eight children, four sons and four daughters.
Having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, C. E. James read for three years under the direction
of J. C. Merietta, of Palmyra, and then entered the Keokuk Medical College, which institution conferred upon him
the degree of M. D. in 1880. He opened an office at Swan, Marion county, and was there engaged in practice for
seven years, on the expiration of which period he came to Durham, which has since remained the scene of his professional
labors. He has demonstrated his skill and ability in checking the ravages of disease and has been accorded a gratifying
and growing practice. With the progress of the profession he keeps in close touch through his membership in the
Marion County Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
On the loth of August, 1881, Dr. James was united in marriage to Miss Laura Miller, a daughter of Gabriel and Anna
Miller. One daughter, Avis, died in infancy, and the other daughter, Helen, is at home.
Dr. James gives his political allegiance to the democracy but has no desire for the honors and emoluments of office,
preferring to concentrate his energies upon his professional interests, which have brought him well deserved prosperity
and enviable recognition.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium