HENRY W. HARVEY.
His many friends were much grieved to learn of the demise of Henry W. Harvey, which occurred on the 30th of March,
1911, at his home near the village of Harvey. He was born March 4, 1873, in Clay township, Marion county, a son
of Edward Harvey, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. He grew to manhood in this county and was indebted
for his education to the public schools. As his boyhood and youth were spent upon his father's farm, he early became
familiar with all of the phases of agriculture and assisted in the cultivation of the fields and in the care of
the stock. This proved an admirable training for the duties of life, as he continued to follow agricultural pursuits
after arriving at years of maturity. He became in time the owner of a valuable farm and kept his land in a state
of high cultivation, his good management and industry being rewarded by a gratifying annual income.
Mr. Harvey was married on the 30th of June, 1895, to Miss Anna Zugg, a native of this county, who was born on the
Toth of July, 1873. Her parents, Daniel and Phoebe (Phillips) Zugg, were born in that part of Clermont county,
Ohio, which is now known as Brown county. Her father was born on the 13th of October, 1834. During his active life
he devoted his time and attention to farming, in which he was very successful, and paid special attention to the
raising of thoroughbred Chester White hogs and graded cattle. He owned one hundred and twenty one acres of land
and still holds title to city property in Knoxville, where he has lived since 1913. He still enjoys good health,
although an octogenarian. He has always supported the democratic party at the polls but has never desired office.
His family were among the pioneers of Ohio, as were his wife's people. Her parents were Rev. and Mrs. John I. Phillips,
who removed to this county in 1850. Her father was a Methodist minister and preached the gospel in Ohio and in
this and other counties of Iowa. He died at Harlan, this state, at the age of seventy three years. Mr. and Mrs.
Zugg were married near New Harmony, Clermont county, Ohio, in 1857, and in 1860 removed to Knoxville township,
this county. The latter died on the 8th of February, 1909, when about sixty seven years of age. Mrs. Harvey is
the seventh in order of birth in a family of ten children, of whom seven are living, two residing in California,
a sister making her home in Minnesota and the others living in this county. Mrs. Harvey was reared in this county
and attended the country schools in the acquirement of her education. By her marriage she became the mother of
three sons: John, eighteen years of age, who is operating the home farm in Clay township and who married Miss Ethel
Rankin; and Lynn and Walter, fifteen and ten years of age respectively, who are at home.
Mr. Harvey was a republican and was active in local political affairs. He was especially concerned in the welfare
of the public schools and was for many years one of the school officers. He belonged to the Methodist Episcopal
church, as do his family, and the teachings of Christianity guided his life, which was such as to command respect
and high esteem. In his death in 1911 the county lost a valued citizen and those who had known him intimately a
true and loyal friend.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium