A. L. Harvey is president of the First National Bank in the village of Harvey and is also still actively and
extensively connected with agricultural interests in Clay township. Marion county numbers him among her native
sons, his birth having here occurred on the 4th of August, 186t. His parents, James and Mary P. (Gould) Harvey,
were both natives of Ohio and in 1855 came to Marion county, settling on a farm in Clay township, where their remaining
days were passed. They were numbered among the early residents of this section and the father was closely connected
with agricultural development.
A. L. Harvey, who was one of a family of five children, four of whom are yet living, spent his youthful days under
the parental roof his time being divided between the schoolroom and the fields, for at an early age he began to
assist in the work of the farm. After attaining his majority he began farming on his own account and in 19o7 he
made his initial step in connection with the banking business, being one of the leading organizers of the First
National Bank at Harvey, of which he is now the president. He has made this institution one of the strong financial
concerns of the county, employing modern methods of banking that are thoroughly safe and reliable. In addition
to his activities in that field of labor he still conducts his farming interests and is now the owner of three
hundred acres of rich and valuable land in Clay township and also has a half interest in seventy acres of land
adjoining Harvey. He owns a herd of fine cattle and makes stock raising an important feature of his farm interests.
In 1885 Mr. Harvey was married to Miss Flora A. Goodspeed, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Alvin and Mary (Johnson)
Goodspeed, who were likewise natives of the Buckeye state. They came to Iowa about 1870 and settled on a farm in
Marion county. The father has now passed away but the mother still survives. To Mr. and Mrs. Harvey have been born
four children: Mary A., now the wife of W. H. Zeigler; Martha E. and Wade C., both at home; and Ward G., who is
now acting as bookkeeper in the bank of which his father is the president.
In his political views Mr. Harvey is a stalwart republican and has filled some local offices, including that of
trustee. He has also been on the school board for a number of years and the cause of public education finds in
him a stalwart champion. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and their lives are spent
in consistent harmony with their profession. Mr. Harvey represents one of the old pioneer families of the county.
At his father's arrival he built a log cabin which was one of the early homes at a period when this district was
upon the frontier. The work instituted by his father in the early days has been carried on by him and thus the
name of Harvey has figured prominently in connection with the development and improvement of Clay township and
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium