T. R. Gregory, who has spent his entire life in Marion county and has carried on general agricultural pursuits
throughout his active business career, still resides upon his farm of two hundred and fifty acres on section 17,
Clay township, but is now enjoying well earned retirement. His birth occurred in that township on the 6th of December,
1853, his parents being James T. and Harriet (Ridlen) Gregory, both of whom were natives of Indiana. They came
to Iowa in 1846, the father entering a tract of land in Clay township, this county, whereon he built a log cabin
which was his home for some years. In 1863 he removed to Knoxville, where both he and his wife passed away at the
age of eighty eight years and in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which they were devoted members.
To them was accorded the rare pleasure of celebrating their seventieth wedding anniversary, and eight of their
thirteen children are yet living. James T. Gregory gave his political allegiance to the democracy.
T. R. Gregory acquired his education in the common schools and remained at home until past twenty seven years of
age or until the time of his marriage. Following that important event in his life he started out as an agriculturist
on his own account and in 1905 purchased the farm on which he now resides and which embraces two hundred and fifty
acres of valuable land on section 17, Clay township. His undertakings as an agriculturist have been attended with
a gratifying measure of prosperity and he is now living retired in the enjoyment of a comfortable competence.
As a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Mr. Gregory chose Miss Sarah S. Rose, a native of Marion county,
Iowa, and a daughter of Richard and Matilda (Glenn) Rose, who were born in Kentucky and Illinois respectively.
They came to Iowa in 1855 and located on a farm in this county which Mr. Rose secured with a Mexican land warrant,
having served throughout the Mexican war. Both he and his wife remained on the property until called to their final
rest. They had six children and five of the number survive. Mrs. Gregory, who taught school for some terms prior
to her marriage, has become the mother of four children, as follows: one who died in infancy; Glenn, deceased;
Jessie A., who had a high school education and is now the wife of W. H. Stroud, of Clay township; and Ruth R.,
who is attending college at Pella.
Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Mr. Gregory has supported the men and measures of the democracy,
believing firmly in its principles. For some years he has served in the capacity of school director. The religious
faith of Mr. and Mrs. Gregory is that of the Methodist Episcopal church. They have spent their entire lives in
Marion county and are well known and highly esteemed as people of genuine personal worth.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium