M. D. FRY.
For twenty years M. D. Fry was a successful and energetic farmer of Marion county, but for fourteen years he has
lived retired in Knoxville, residing at No. 1620 Pleasant street. He owns two hundred and forty three acres of
land in Knoxville and Polk townships and is one of the well to do citizens of the county. He is a son of John and
Hannah (Davis) Fry, the former of whom was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, in 1819 and died in 1904.
In 1854 he removed to this county, first locating in Red Rock township, but he subsequently purchased forty acres
in Union township and continued to buy land until at the time of his death he owned eight hundred acres located
in Union, Knoxville and Polk townships. For twenty six years he was actively engaged in farming and during part
of that time also owned a dry goods store in Knoxville. He was married in Indiana in 1842 to Miss Hannah Davis,
who was born in Ohio in 1821 and died in 1906. When a girl she accompanied her parents to Indiana and there grew
to womanhood. There were eight children in the family of John and Hannah Fry, the record being as follows: Melinda,
the wife of J. McClain of Knoxville; Mary E., the wife of J. O. Burch of Knoxville township; W. M., a resident
of Polk township; D. F., living in Knoxville; Julia A., the wife of J. O. West of Colorado; Eliza, who married
F. M. Kerr, also a resident of Colorado; Allie, deceased, and M. D., the youngest.
The last mentioned was educated in the rural schools of Polk township and lived at home until his marriage to Miss
Eva P. McLain, which occurred in 1887 at Knoxville. She is a daughter of J. B. and Lucy (Nichols) McLain, the former
born on the 3d of July, 1833, at Shady Gap, Pennsylvania. His marriage occurred on the 23d of November, 1853, and
in the late '50s he brought his family to Iowa. Five years later, however, he removed to Ohio, but in 1876 again
came to this state and settled at Hampton, where he ronducted a dry goods store until 1880, when he removed with
his family to Knoxville, where he passed away on the 18th of June, 1914. He was a veteran of the Civil war and
a member of the Knoxville Post of the Grand Army of the Republic. His wife died on the 4th of March, 1901. To their
union were born four children: Emily, the wife of W. L. Dickerson, of Knoxville; Fred D., deceased; Newton, also
deceased; and Eva P., the wife of the subject of this review. She was born in Fredonia, Ohio, in 1867 and was brought
to Iowa when nine years of age. Her education was acquired at Hampton and Iowa Falls. She later lived in Knoxville,
where her marriage occurred. Mr. and Mrs. Fry have two children: Gail M., born on the 2d of February, 1889, graduated
from the Knoxville high school in 1908 and subsequently married Frank Walter, who died in January, 1914. Since
his death she has been attending business college in Des Moines. Erema S. was born on the 18th of November, 1892,
and graduated from the local high school in 1909. She subsequently took a two years' course in music at Simpson
College in Indianola, this state, and is now at home.
Mr. Fry began farming upon his own account subsequent to his marriage and for twenty years was engaged in agricultural
pursuits. He owns a finely developed farm of two hundred and forty three acres in Knoxville and Polk townships
and has made many improvements thereon. For the past fourteen years he has lived retired in Knoxville, as his former
labors gained him more than a competence. He is a democrat in his political belief and has been quite active in
local affairs. He has been delegate to a number of county conventions and for three terms served as alderman from
the third ward. He is well known in the city and has many friends, as to come into contact with him means to honor
and respect him.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium