WILLIAM P. FLANAGAN.
In the years of an active life William P. Flanagan followed farming and stock raising in Washington township, his
home being on section 26. He became a resident of the county in pioneer times and was a young man of but twenty
one or twenty two years of age at the time of his arrival. His birth occurred in Virginia on the 15th of April,
183t, his parents being Reuben and Sarah (Bybee) Flanagan, who were natives of Virginia and of Irish descent. In
the Old Dominion they were reared and married and to them were born six children, of whom but one is now living.
On leaving the Old Dominion the parents went to Ohio and afterward to Indiana, where their remaining days were
passed and there, when death called them, their remains were interred.
William P. Flanagan was but a young lad when the family went to Ohio and in the schools of that state he pursued
his education. He first came to Iowa in 1853, making his way to Marion county, and from that time forward he was
identified with its farming interests. On the 11th of September, 1859, he was joined in wedlock to Miss Margaret
Mathew, a daughter of John and Lucy (Mormon) Mathew. The Mathew family lived for a time in Indiana and in 1849
came to Marion county, Iowa, establishing their home here in pioneer times and bearing an active and helpful part
in the work of early development and improvement. John Mathew passed away on the 8th of October, 1887, while his
wife was called to her final rest on the 25th of December, 1870. They were well thought of and had many friends.
The record of their children is as follows: Julia Ann, who is deceased; Mary C. and Lewis, twins, the latter being
deceased; Rebecca Jane, who has also passed away; Margaret and Rachel, twins, the latter deceased; and Martha and
Emma, who have passed away.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Flanagan was blessed with nine children: Frances A., who is the wife of J. N. Cochran,
of Plainville, Kansas; Dulcena, deceased; John S.; one who died unnamed; Archie W., who has passed away; Lua, who
is at home with her mother; Edmond; Mary, who is deceased; and Keely.
It was in the year 1877 that Mr. Flanagan and his family took up their abode upon the farm where his widow now
resides on a tract of land of one hundred and sixty acres, to which he afterward added forty acres. Early experience
taught him practical methods of developing and improving the fields and as time passed on he kept in touch with
the trend of modern progress along that line. When machinery was invented and placed upon the market, he secured
it to facilitate the work of the fields and when science brought forth knowledge concerning the soil conditions
and the needs of plant life, he utilized this knowledge in the work of the fields. He was ever busy and met the
demands that were made upon him faithfully and capably.
In May, 1900, Mr. Flanagan was called from this life, his remains being interred in the Olive Chapel cemetery.
In early manhood he gave his allegiance to the republican party but later, on account of a change in his political
opinions, he supported the democratic party. He never held office but was always ready to further any plan or project
for the public good. His religious faith was that of the Methodist Episcopal church and to its teachings he was
faithful. He was ever conscientious in what he did and no one ever questioned his integrity or the honesty of his
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium