Dr. Joseph W. Finarty has been a prominent general practitioner of medicine in Knoxville for many years and
holds the confidence of the public and of his professional colleagues. He was born in Mason county, Virginia, on
the t6th of January, 184$, a son of Joseph and Emily (Day) Finality, both likewise natives of the Old Dominion.
As his father died on the r7th of January, 1849, he was reared by his paternal grandfather, who was also named
Joseph and was born in Maryland of Scotch-Irish ancestry. He served in the War of 1812, taking part in the battle
of Lundvs Lane, and during the Civil war enlisted in Company G, Forty seventh Iowa Volunteers, serving for two
years. He came to Pella in 1895 and passed away there in 1871. By occupation he was a farmer. The mother of Dr.
Finarty married Allen Lester after the death of her first husband.
Dr. Finarty was given a public school education in his boyhood and at the time of the Civil war enlisted in Company
D, Sixty third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, remaining with his command until the close of the struggle. He then
entered the Central University of Iowa, at Pella, and while pursuing his course there read medicine. He subsequently
entered the College of Physicians & Surgeons, at Keokuk, from which he was graduated in 1871. He has never
considered his professional education complete and in 1883 took a postgraduate course in the Polyclinic of Chicago
and in 1901 studied at the Polyclinic in New York. He began practice at Dallas, this state, in 1871, but thirteen
years later came to Knoxville, where he has since resided. In the thirty years that he has lived here he has built
up a large and lucrative practice and has won a reputation for the successful treatment of disease. He is thoroughly
progressive and up to date and is a valued member of the state and county medical societies and the American Medical
In 1867 Dr. Finarty married Miss Mary E. Auld, of Knoxville, a daughter of James Auld, who removed to this state
from Ohio in pioneer times. To Dr. Finarty and his wife have been born four children, but James Carl and Walter
R. are deceased. Arthur C. was graduated from the Barnes Medical College of St. Louis in 1889 and also pursued
a course in the Polyclinic of Chicago, but is now engaged in farming in this county. Harry is also an agriculturist
in this county.
Dr. Finarty is a communicant of the Methodist Episcopal church and is well known in fraternal circles, belonging
to Oriental Lodge, No. 61, A. F. & A. M.; Tadmor Chapter, No. 18, R. A. M.; Milites Commandery, K. T., all
of Knoxville; and to the consistory and the Mystic Shrine at Des Moines. For six years he has been high priest
of the chapter. He also holds membership in the Knights of Pythias. His political allegianee is given to the republican
party and he has served as chairman of the republican central committee of this county. For many years he has been
active in the Iowa National Guard and was made captain of Company D, Fifty fifth Regiment, on the 8th of January,
1912. In 1914 he retired, having reached the age limit. His life has been a busy one and he has contributed to
the welfare and progress of his community in a number of ways. His name is held in high honor in Knoxville and
he has a host of personal friends.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium