Dr. William F. Crew is well known in Pella and Marion county, where he has practiced medicine for a number of
years. He is an able physician and surgeon and has an especially creditable record in the treatment of diseases
of the eye, ear, nose and throat, in which he has specialized to some extent. In his early manhood he taught school
and from 1896 to 1900 filled the office of county superintendent of schools for Marion county.
The Doctor was born in this county on the 1st of May, 1872, a son of William and Martha (Workman) Crew, both natives
of Highland county, Ohio, where their marriage occurred. In 1866 they removed to Marion county, Iowa, and purchased
land near Red Rock, where they resided until their deaths. The father passed away in 1885, having survived his
wife for eleven years, her demise occurring in 1874. To them were born eight children, four sons and four daughters.
Those living are: Mrs. John Templeton, the wife of a farmer; J. M., who is following agricultural pursuits in this
county; Ellen, the wife of Dr. F. M. Roberts, of Honeywell, Missouri; and William F.
The last named acquired his early education in the public schools in the neighborhood of his home, and continued
his academic work in the Central University of Iowa at Pella. In 1903 he was graduated from the school of pharmacy
of the Valparaiso University at Valparaiso, Indiana, and in 1904 received his medical degree from Barnes Medical
College at St. Louis. He first located for practice in Ralston, Iowa, where he remained for two and a half years,
after which he removed to Lorimor, Iowa. He resided there for five years and then did post graduate work in Chicago.
In December, 1911, he came to Pella and has since remained in this city, where he enjoys a large general and special
practice. He belongs to the state and county medical societies and to the American Medical Association and finds
these organizations invaluable as a means of keeping abreast with the discoveries that are constantly being made
in the science of medicine and with the improved methods which are being worked out in its practice. Although he
has only resided in Pella for three years, he has gained the confidence of the general public and of his colleagues
as well, and his advice is often sought by his brother practitioners upon doubtful points.
In 1903 Dr. Crew was married to Miss Florence Stuart, a daughter of Dr. John and Mary (Grafty) Stuart, natives
of Canada, who came to Pella about 1889. For many years Dr. Stuart was president of the Central University of Iowa,
which is located at Pella, but is now engaged in the practice of medicine at Monon, Indiana. To Dr. and Mrs. Crew
have been born three children, Mary E., Robert Stuart ands Martha Louise. The family belong to the Baptist church
and the integrity of their daily lives is the best proof of the sincerity of their religious faith. The Doctor
is a democrat in his political views and fraternally belongs to the Knights of Pythias. Those who have once been
admitted to intimate friendship with him remain his loyal and enthusiastic friends, as close acquaintance but more
fully reveals the genuineness of his character and his many admirable traits.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium