James L. Clark is one of the owners of a modern and well stocked men's furnishing and clothing store, in which
he has had a half interest since 1910. He is a representative business man of Knoxville and is always willing to
cooperate with others in securing the commercial expansion of the city. His birth occurred in this county on the
18th of April, 1860, and his parents were James and Merinda (Miller) Clark, natives of Warren county, Tennessee,
and Putnam county, Indiana, respectively. His paternal grandfather was Benjamin Clark, who was a Baptist preacher
and spent his life in Tennessee. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent. James Clark, father of our subject, arrived
in this county in 1849 and took up government land six miles northwest of Knoxville, at which time there were no
neighbors within a distance of two miles. He devoted his life to farming and was a highly respected citizen of
the county. He died on the loth of April, 1902. His wife was a daughter of John and Willa Miller, who about 1848
came to Iowa and settled in Marion county, where they entered government land, their farm being located north of
Dallas and becoming in time one of the well developed properties of the county. Mrs. Merinda Clark passed away
on the 11th of June, 1896. She attended the Baptist church, as did also Mr. Clark, and the latter was a democrat
in his political belief. To them were born six children. Both had been married previous to their union and the
father had six children by his first marriage and the mother two by her union with William Sunderland.
James L. Clark received a common school education and in addition to the lessons which he learned from books was
given valuable training in agriculture, as he assisted his father in the work of the farm during his youth. On
reaching manhood he continued to follow the occupation to which he had been reared until 1902 and also taught school
during the winter months for eight consecutive years. He then went to Webster, South Dakota, where he engaged in
the real estate business for seven years, but in 1909 returned to this state, locating in Rock Rapids, where he
entered the mercantile business. After one year he sold his store and came to Knoxville, where in partnership with
C. Rouze Hunter he opened a men's furnishing and clothing store in March, 1910. They are usually able to anticipate
the fashions which are destined to be most popular and their stock offers a varied and pleasing line from which
to select. As the clothing which they sell is at once correct in line, attractive in weave and lasting in wearing
qualities, their customers are many and the volume of their business is steadily increasing. A feature of the store
that adds much to its popularity is the courteous treatment given all and the sincere effort to aid customers in
choosing that which will be the most permanently satisfying, as the partners realize that it is not enough to merely
sell goods, as continued growth in a business depends upon the giving of real value and real service.
Mr. Clark was married on the 26th of April, 1893, to Miss Fannie Hunter, a daughter of M. C. and Emily Hunter.
They have three children: Lorein, Paul and James, all at home. Mr. Clark and his family are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church and he has served as its treasurer since 1911. Politically he is an adherent of the democratic
party and during 1902-3 he served as deputy county treasurer of Marion county. His social nature finds expression
in his membership in Oriental Lodge, No. 61, A. F. & A. M., and in the Knights of Pythias. Throughout his entire
life Mr. Clark has ordered his conduct in conformity to the standards of justice and right and his reward is the
consciousness of duty faithfully performed and the esteem of his fellowmen.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium