For many years Hiram Andrews was a farmer and stockman residing on section 25, Knoxville township, and the news
of his demise, which occurred in June, 1908, at Bentonville, Arkansas, was the occasion of much sincere grief in
this county, where he was well known and highly esteemed. He was born in Crawford county, Ohio, on the 27th of
September, 1830, a son of Jacob and Ellen Andrews, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania, but who became early
settlers of Ohio.
Hiram Andrews was reared in the county of his nativity and there attended the common and high schools. When in
his twentieth year he began teaching and followed that profession in the Buckeye state for seven years. In the
spring of 1857 he came to Marion county, Iowa, and located here, having been much pleased with the prospects of
the county when he investigated conditions here in 1854. After his arrival in this county he continued to teach
during the winters for seven years and devoted the summers to farm work, cultivating land near Newbern in Dallas
township. In 1865 he removed to section 25, Knoxville township, and from that time gave up teaching, concentrating
his efforts upon the cultivation of his land and the raising of live stock. He was energetic in the performance
of the tasks that fall to the lot of the farmer and also sought to so systematize and manage his work as to secure
maximum efficiency. He owned one hundred and twenty acres of land and his place was one of the best improved farm
properties of his locality.
On the 11th of March, 1859, Mr. Andrews married Miss L. Richardson, a native of Ohio, and they became the parents
of two children: William Franklin, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work; and a daughter, Eva, now the
wife of James Pugh, of Omaha, Nebraska.
In the fall of 1879 Mr. Andrews was elected assessor of Knoxville township on the republican ticket and proved
a capable and conscientious official. For ten years he served as secretary of the school board and during his entire
life manifested deep interest in the welfare of the public schools. He and his family were all members of the Christian
church and were factors in the extension of the influence of that organization in their locality. On the 15th of
December, 1879, he lost his residence and many household effects by fire, but soon after he rebuilt, his new home
being at that time one of the finest in his section of the county. About 1898 he removed to Bentonville, Arkansas,
and passed away there in June, 1908. His wife survived him for about two years, her demise occurring at Omaha,
Nebraska, at the home of her daughter in February, 1910. Their lives were well spent and they served well the day
in which they lived, performing to the best of their ability the tasks that lay closest at hand and cooperating
heartily in all movements that sought the public welfare.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium