B. P. Shaver, of Columbus Junction, who engaged for a number of years in farming and is now gaining prominence
as a manufacturer, builder and contractor, was born in Johnson county, Iowa, June 9, 1861. He is a son of Daniel
K. and Adaline (Donahey) Shaver, the former of whom was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, January 3, 1822,
and the latter in Harrison county, Ohio, in October, 1840. The father was a member of a family of twelve children
and came with his parents to Johnson county, Iowa, in 1844. This was in the pioneer days and they took up their
residence in a little log cabin covered with a clapboard roof and supplied with a stick chimney, puncheon floor
and clapboard door.
At twelve years of age Daniel K. Shaver began learning the printer's trade and during a large part of his life
has been identified with the newspaper business. In 1852 he secured a land warrant for one hundred and sixty acres
of land in Johnson county in exchange for eight weeks' work which he did for Judge Green. He was foreman on the
Iowa City Republican for two years and later established the American Union which he published for a short time
at Iowa City. He engaged in farming in Johnson county until 1900, when he disposed of his place and bought a farm
in Washington county, near Dayton, where he has since made his home. He has given his support to the republican
party ever since its organization and is also a member in long standing of the Masonic fraternity, the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and the Independent Order of Good Templars. He has never used intoxicants or tobacco in any
form and at the age of eighty eight was able to stand and kick the door jamb of the house. He attributes his physical
strength and endurance to the fact that he has always lived a temperate life. Of the four children born to Mr.
and Mrs. Shaver, Bonetta and George D. are deceased. Those who survive are B. P., of this review, and B. R.
B. P. Shaver attended the district schools and completed his education at the Iowa Agricultural College. As he
grew to manhood he assisted in work on his father's farm and devoted his attention mainly to agriculture and stock
raising until recently, when he and his brother associated together in the cement block and tile business. In the
spring of 1910 they erected a factory at Columbus Junction, the plant being one of the largest of the kind in the
state. It is thoroughly equipped with the most approved appliances and here cement blocks and tiles of all desirable
sizes are manufactured in response to a demand that has constantly increased. The firm also does a contracting
and building business and stands in high favor throughout a wide section where the name is known.
In 1888 Mr. Shaver married Miss Lydia Scheib, a native of Washington county, Iowa, and a daughter of Charles and
Mary Scheib. The parents were born in Germany and on emigrating to this country took up their residence in Wisconsin.
Subsequently they located in Washington county, Iowa, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Three children
have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Shaver: Merle M., who is now a student in the State University at Iowa City; Daniel
K., Jr., who is a graduate of the high school at Mitchell, South Dakota, as the family lived in that state for
some time; and Bernice J., who is now a student in the high school at Columbus Junction. Mrs. Shaver is a lady
of rare social qualities and of unusual intellectual attainments. She received a college education and taught school
with marked success for several years previous to her marriage.
Mr. Shaver and his brother are valued members of the Knights of Pythias. Wide awake, enterprising and thoroughly
competent as business men, they have won the confidence and esteem of all with whom they have come into contact
and the business they have established is recognized as one of the highly important enterprises in this part of
History of Louisa County, Iowa
From Its Earliest Settlement to 1912
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Decatur County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium