George W. Reddick, who has been engaged in agricultural pursuits during the greater cortion of his life, was
born in Adams county, Ohio, on the 7th of July, 1866. He is the eldest son of William H. and Rachel A. (Stahl)
Reddick, the father a native of Indiana and the mother of Decatur, Illinois. The family came to Iowa in 1876, locating
in Kossuth, where they resided for two years, and then removed to Northfield where they spent a similar period.
At the expiration of that time they went to Newport, where they lived for seventeen years, following which they
located in Muscatine county, and there the father passed away in 1903. He was taken to Letts for burial and there
his widow has since continued to reside. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted in 1861 in Company
E., Thirty third Ohio Volunteers. He served for four years and was discharged with the rank of second lieutenant.
His eldest son has the sword which was presented to Lieutenant Reddick by his admirers and friends in Ohio and
upon one side is engraved: "Presented to Lt. William H. Reddick by his friends in Locust Grove, Ohio, May
15, 1863." On the other is inscribed: "Reward of Valor, Thirty third Regiment, Ohio Volunteers."
He had the misfortune to be taken prisoner at Big Shanty, Georgia, when the Union army seized the Confederate train.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. William H. Reddick were born eight children besides our subject: Clark T., who is a resident
of Centerville, Kansas; Emmer L., of Muscatine county; Jackson A., of Louisa county; Frank G., also of Muscatine,
Iowa; Lilly M., the wife of Marion Frizzell, of Grangeville, Idaho; Merritt, of Muscatine; William H., of Louisa
county; and Leora D., the wife of Clark Altakruse, of Muscatine county.
At the age of sixteen years George W. Reddick began his business career by renting twenty eight acres of land in
Louisa county, in the cultivation of which he engaged for five years. At the expiration of that period he purchased
the old Florence place, eight miles southeast of Wapello, which contained one hundred and sixty six acres. After
operating this for two years he disposed of it and removed to Newport, where he resided for two and a half years,
and then rented one hundred and eighty acres four miles south of Wapello, where he resided for three years. He
subsequently went to Coneville, Muscatine county, where he farmed until August, 1909, following which he came to
Oakville, where he is now residing.
Mr. Reddick completed his arrangements for a home of his own by his marriage on the 21st of May, 1893, to Miss
Della M. Shaffer, a daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Pontjius) Shaffer. They were the parents of the following children:
George E., who is a resident of Wapello; Della M., now Mrs. Reddick; Frank H., of Louisa county; Etta R., the deceased
wife of Albert Babbitt, of Muscatine; William D., of Louisa county; Stella E., the wife of Stanley Honts, of Muscatine
county; James R. L., deceased, and Charles W., also deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Reddiclc were born seven children:
one who died in infancy; Vinnie G.; Cecil F., deceased; George C.; Harrold D.; Jessie S.; and Cleda R.
The religious views of the family are manifested through their affiliation with the Methodist Episcopal church,
while fraternally Mr. Recldick is identified with the Masonic order. His political support he always gives to the
candidates of the republican party, although as he has never been an aspirant for public honors or the emoluments
of office he does not prominently participate in political affairs, preferring to give his undivided attention
to his personal interests.
History of Louisa County, Iowa
From Its Earliest Settlement to 1912
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Decatur County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium