George D. Harrison, who has resided in Louisa county fifty six years and is known as one of the substantial
citizens of the county, is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, born December 19, 1829. He is a son of S. P.
and Catherine (Fawkes) Harrison, both of whom were born in Delaware county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Harrison, Sr., moved
to Ohio with his family about 1834 and located on a farm in Clark county where he built a log cabin in which the
family lived several years. He and his wife both died on the family homestead in the Buckeye state. They were the
parents of four children: George D.; Susan, deceased; Catherine, who is the wife of F. Walker and is living in
Ohio; and G. L., of St. Louis, Missouri.
Mr. Harrison of this review received excellent advantages of education in Ohio where he attended the common schools
and was also a college student. He continued at home until about twenty seven years of age, engaging as a teacher
several years and also for two years as civil engineer. In 1855, believing that conditions were more favorable
west of the Mississippi river, he arrived in Louisa county, Iowa, and entered the mercantile business at Columbus
City. He was successful in this vocation but after fifteen years sold out and began devoting his attention to the
grain and live stock business, also being connected quite extensively with farming and cattle feeding. He now owns
four hundred and fifty acres of good land in Columbus City township, upon which he has made many improvements,
greatly adding to its value, but is living practically retired, having for many years possessed a competency.
In 1859 Mr. Harrison was married to Miss Lou C. Ringer, who was born in Maryland, a daughter of Andrew P. and Catherine
Ringer. The parents were both natives of Maryland and were among the early settlers of Louisa county where they
continued during the remainder of their lives. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Harrison were three children: Harry
L., who is married and lives in Columbus Junction in the summer time and in California in the winter; and Chester
and Milton, both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Harrison, the mother of these children, died September 10, 1909, and
her body reposes in the cemetery at Columbus City. The death of his beloved companion was the heaviest blow Mr.
Harrison has ever known, his main comfort now being his son and three grandchildren.
In politics he is an adherent of the democratic party. He formerly took an active interest in public affairs and
served as a member of the city council and as a representative of Louisa county in the state legislature. A man
of good judgment and actuated by progressive ideas, he has been instrumental in forwarding the permanent welfare
of this section and also through the energy and business sagacity has accumulated a handsome fortune. He now enjoys
the results of his labors amidst friends whom he has long known and who entertain for him the highest veneration
History of Louisa County, Iowa
From Its Earliest Settlement to 1912
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Decatur County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium