D. D. Hamilton, an agriculturist whose efforts have been attended with a gratifying measure of prosperity, is
the owner of three hundred and seventy acres of land, constituting one of the most highly improved farms in Marshall
township. Be is numbered among the worthy native sons of Louisa county, his birth having here occurred on the 3d
of February, 1850. His parents, Samuel and Mary (Holland) Hamilton, both of whom were natives of Ohio, came to
this county in 1840. The father here entered a tract of land and erected a log cabin, making his home therein for
several years. He continued to reside in Louisa county throughout the remainder of his life, passing away on the
13th of September, 1886, while his wife was called to her final rest on the 15th of March, 1895
Samuel Hamilton was widely recognized as a leading business man and, though classed as an agriculturist, turned
the active work of the fields over to his sons. His political allegiance was given to the democracy and he was
always an active worker in the local ranks of the party but supported Lincoln when the great emancipator was made
a presidential candidate for the second time. For more than forty years he served as justice of the peace in Louisa
county, his fair and impartial decisions winning him "golden opinions from all sorts of people." He was
a devoted and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, doing all in his power to promote its growth
and extend its influence.
Unto him and his wife were born twelve children, as follows: Ann, whose natal year was 1829 and who has passed
away; Alexander, who is a resident of Vapello township; Sarah I., Stephen G. and Susan E., all of whom are deceased
Mary J., the wife of James Banks, of Wapello, Iowa; Lorane, deceased; Lydia M. and Melvina, twins, who died in
infancy; another, who died in infancy; D. D., of this review; and Samuel T. who is likewise deceased.
D. D. Hamilton attended the common schools in the acquirement of an education and remained under the parental roof
until he had attained his majority. When twenty one years of age, he secured a tax title to five acres of land
and as his financial resources increased owing to his untiring industry and capable management, he augmented his
holdings by additional purchase until at the present time his farm embraces three hundred and seventy acres, all
of which he cleared of the timber. The many substantial improvements which now adorn the property and which make
it one of the model farms of the township stand as monuments to the thrift and enterprise of the owner. Large crops
of grain are annually garnered and in connection with the tilling of the soil Mr. Hamilton also raises stock, this
branch, of his business proving to him a profitable source of income.
In 1885 Mr. Hamilton was united in marriage to Miss S. C. Hunt, who was horn in Morning Sun township, Louisa county,
in 1854, her parents being S. G. and Margaret (Curran) Hunt, who are mentioned at greater length on another page
of this work in connection with the sketch of J. C. Hunt, a brother of Mrs. Hamilton. Unto our subject and his
wife were born five children, namely: Samuel, whose natal day was December 19, 1886, and who passed away September
13, 1887; Franc M., who was born on the 19th of October, 1888, and now follows the profession of school teaching;
Stephen C., who was born on the 17th of November, 1890, and is at home; Mary S., born June 24, 1892, who graduated
from the high school at Morning Sun with the class of 1911; and D. D., Jr., whose birth occurred on the 24th of
June, 1896, and who is also at home.
Mr: Hamilton is a stalwart democrat in politics but has never sought nor desired the honors and emoluments of office.
Fraternally he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while his religious faith is indicated
by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, to which his wife also belongs. They have spent their entire
lives within the borders of Louisa county and are well and favorably known, the hospitality of the best homes of
the locality being cordially extended to them.
History of Louisa County, Iowa
From Its Earliest Settlement to 1912
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Decatur County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium