William T. Brown, who has been engaged in the drug business in Columbus Junction for nineteen years, was born
in Columbus City, Iowa, on the r6th of January. 1866. He is a son of the late Dr. I. C. and Ruth Ann (Hamlet) Brown,
natives of Philadelphia, Tennessee, and Plainfield, Indiana, respectively. The father passed away in 1900, at the
age of sixty five years, and the mother survived him until 19o9, her demise occurring in October, that year. Dr.
Brown attended Maryville College, Tennessee, and was graduated from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He practiced one year at Philadelphia, Tennessee, but in the spring of 1863 he removed to Danville. Indiana, where
he was married, and in January, 1864, removed to Columbus City, Iowa, where he practiced for two years and then
removed to Old Clifton. After residing there for ten years he came to Columbus Junction, where he remained until
his demise. In his family were four children, one daughter and three sons, in order of birth as follows: Octavia
Jane, who became the wife of W. F. Hall, of Columbus Junction; William Thomas, our subject; Harry L., who is engaged
in the drug business in Des Moines, Iowa; and Hadley S., a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of
Chicago, who is now engaged in the practice of medicine in Oklahoma.
The education of William T. Brown, which was begun in the schools of Columbus City, was completed in the high school
of Columbus Junction. At the age of eighteen years he began his business career by accepting a position on the
railroad and for seven years thereafter he continued to be identified with that vocation. In 1892 he became associated
with his brother, H. L. Brown, and W. F. Hall in the drug business at Columbus Junction. This partnership existed
for three years, at the expiration of which period Brown Brothers bought out the interest of Mr. Hall, and in 1903
our subject became sole proprietor and since continued the business alone. He has met with very good success in
his undertaking and now owns one of the finest stores in the town and enjoys an excellent patronage.
Mr. Brown was united in marriage on the 27th of April, 1893, to Miss Bina Barringer, a daughter of S. E. and Mary
(Stark) Barringer. Her father has passed away but her mother is still living and continues to make her home in
Columbus Junction. Mr. and Mrs. Barringer had three daughters, as follows: Blanche, the deceased wife of Alvin
Simons; Belle, who became the wife of Ab Sherridan, of Columbus Junction; and Bina, now Mrs. Brown. Mr. and Mrs.
Brown have two sons and two daughters, as follows: Egbert DeWayne, who was born on the 15th of June, 1894; Helen
Lenore, born on the 20th of December, 1895; Ruth Ann, whose birth occurred on the 15th of February, 1898; and William
Thomas, Jr., who was born on the 16th of July, 1901.
Fraternally Mr. Brown is affiliated with the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of United
Workmen. His political support he gives to the republican party and despite the exactions of a large business he
has time to share the responsibilities of municipal government. He served two years as town clerk. Energetic and
progressive in his business methods, public spirited in his citizenship, and loyal in his private relations, Mr.
Brown is one of the highly esteemed men of Columbus Junction.
History of Louisa County, Iowa
From Its Earliest Settlement to 1912
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Decatur County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium