Charles J. Bollenbach, who for fifteen years was engaged in blacksmithing in Columbus Junction, was born in
Lake county, Illinois, on the 24th of September, 1871, his parents being Charles and Barbara (Wenegar) Bollenbach,
natives of Germany. The father came to America when a lad of fourteen years with his parents, who located in Cook
county, Illinois. There he followed his trade, which was blacksmithing, and from there removed to Lake county,
Illinois, where he engaged in business for himself. In 1900 he removed to Arlington, Illinois, where he and his
wife continue to reside. He volunteered for service in the Union army in place of a brother who was drafted, and
served one year with the Fifty first Illinois Regiment. He had eight children, as follows: Louie, of Deland, Illinois;
Charles J., our subject; Edward, who is living in Tampico, Illinois; Erma, a resident of Arlington Heights, Illinois;
William, deceased; twins, one of whom died in infancy, while Almon, the other, is now deceased; and Clara, at home.
After finishing his education, which was acquired in the common schools of Illinois, Charles J. Bollenbach learned
horse shoeing. He remained with his parents until he was twenty one years of age, following which he went to Chicago,
where he worked at his trade for a year. At the expiration of that period he went to Erie, Illinois, where he remained
a similar time, and then removed to Hooppole, Illinois, where he opened a shop, which he conducted for three years.
Disposing of his business at the end of that time he came to Columbus Junction. In 1895 he bought out J. R. Davis,
who was running a general blacksmithing and horse shoeing establishment. He lost this place by fire at the end
of eight months, following which he bought a lot and built a shop, which he conducted for fifteen years, but in
October, 1910, he closed out his business. In 1909 he purchased two lots on which is situated a nice two story
eight room residence, which is his present home.
On the 24th of September, 1895, Mr. Bollenbach was united in marriage to Miss Anna M. Clementz, a daughter of Samuel
and Mary (Vogel) Clement; who were the parents of eight children, as follows: Anna, who became Mrs. Bollenbach;
William, a resident of Henry county, Illinois; Bertha, the wife of Edward Bollenbach of Tampico, Illinois; Martha,
who married T. F. Castle, of Kansas City, Kansas; Josephine, the wife of Allan Mathis, of IIenry county, Illinois;
Catharine, and Fred, both of whom are at home; and John, who is deceased. The parents were both natives of Illinois,
in which state the father still resides, but the mother passed away on the 26th of September, 1893. For his first
wife Mr. Clementz chose Miss Louisa Grose, and to them were born two children: Frank, who is living in St. James,
Missouri; and Dora, the wife of August Seyller, of Henry county, Illinois.
Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Dollenbach: Laurene, who was born on the 10th of May, 1901; and Laverne,
whose birth occurred on the 9th of June, 1904. The wife and mother passed away May 16, 1911, and was buried at
Arlington Heights, Illinois.
Mr. Bollenbach's fraternal relations are confined to membership in the Modern Woodmen of America and the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, while the religious affiliation of the family is with the Reformed church. He votes with
the republican party and is now and has been for some time a member of the city council.
History of Louisa County, Iowa
From Its Earliest Settlement to 1912
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Decatur County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium