William Walter Stewart has been a resident of Round Prairie township, Jefferson county, since his birth which
occurred September 2, 1863. When six months of age he was adopted by William W. and Rebecca (Right) Stewart, the
former being a native of Maryland and the latter of Kentucky. William W. Stewart. Sr., came to Jefferson county
in 1837 accompanying his parents who entered land from the government and thereafter were associated with agricultural
interests in this vicinity. At his marriage he received from his father a gift of sixty acres of land which he
cleared and improved, adding to this tract by subsequent purchases until he owned in all three hundred and seventy
acres: With characteristic energy and industry he improved the land, enhancing its value greatly, and in 1886 retired.
He resides with his son, the subject of this review, being still in fair health and good spirits at the advanced
age of ninety years. His wife died in January, 1909, having also been granted the heritage of sound health and
the enjoyment of a long life.
Before his adoption W. W. Stewart possessed the name of Right, his father being a brother of Mrs. Stewart, his
foster mother. Mrs. Right, whose maiden name was Maria Ball, was, like her husband, a native of Kentucky. Coming
to Jefferson county, Iowa, in 1836, during the progress of the Civil war, Mr. Right enlisted in the army, taking
part in Sherman's famous march to the sea. At the close of the war he returned to Jefferson county. He farmed here
for a time and on marrying again made his residence in Illinois, where he remained until the death of his wife,
in 1886. Thereupon he returned to Iowa and devoted himself to the cultivation of the soil on a farm near Des Moines,
where he made his home until 1899.
Tenderly nurtured under the devoted guidance of his foster parents, W. W. Stewart was educated in the schools of
Jefferson county and was reared to manhood on the farm, becoming thoroughly familiar with the problems involved
in agricultural pursuits. He never left the home place and in 1909 received by deed from William Washington Stewart,
Sr., the latter's farm of three hundred and seventy acres. This he has operated with much success and has made
many improvements, erecting more commodious buildings and new fences. He is practical in his methods and employs
the best machinery, believing that the most modern equipment will produce the best results. To his raising of live
stock he devotes especial attention and annually ships about one hundred head of hogs, feeds sixty head of cattle
and keeps twenty horses.
On January 5, 1882, Mr. Stewart was united in marriage to Miss Sadie C. Barton, a daughter of Thomas C. and Elizabeth
(Harshbarger) Barton. natives of Kentucky, the family being of German lineage. Mrs. Stewart's father came to Henry
county, Iowa, in antibellum days and here purchased a farm of one hundred and forty acres which he has cultivated
uninterruptedly since that time, meeting with much success in his work. His wife passed away in December, 1910.
Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Stewart, of whom four died in infancy. The others are: Maude, the wife of
John F. Davis, residing in Memphis, Missouri; Bessie, the wife of Charles Sturgiss, a farmer of Round Prairie township;
Minnie, the wife of Walter Bower, likewise a farmer of Round Prairie township; Elsie, who married John Sharp and
resides with her father; Maysel, the wife of Fred Briggs, a carpenter by trade, also residing on the home place;
and W. Terence, living at home. Mr. Stewart and his family are members of the Free Methodist church of Fairfield,
Iowa, being earnest and helpful workers in advancing the interests of their congregation. In his political affiliations
he votes with the republicans and has held various offices. At present he is one of the county supervisors and
has also served as trustee and clerk of Round Prairie township. He is a man of genial disposition, big hearted
and generous toward all, and honorable in every relation in life.
History of Jefferson County, Iowa
A Record of Settlement, Organizatin,
Progress and Achievement
BY: Charles J. Fulton
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Jefferson County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium