Edgar R. Robinson, who for the past six years has been engaged in the real estate and insurance business in
Batavia, was born on a farm in Cannan township, Henry county, Iowa, six miles northeast of Mount Pleasant, on March
8, 1877. He is the youngest child born of the marriage of John Q. and Anna (Mount) Robinson, the father a native
of Chillicothe, Missouri, but of Scotch extraction. Mr. Robinson came to Iowa in the early '60s, locating on a
farm in Henry county, in the cultivation of which he engaged for forty years. At the expiration of that period
he retired from active work to Mount Pleasant, where he lived for four years, whence he removed to Ottumwa and
there he and his wife continue to reside. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Robinson, those beside our subject
being, May, who is living with her parents and Charles W., a farmer of Onawa, Iowa, who married Miss Mary Hobart
of Mount Pleasant and has two children Ralph and May.
The first twenty years of his life Edgar R. Robinson spent beneath the parental roof. After graduating from the
Mount Pleasant high school in 1896 he entered the Wesleyan University of that place, taking one year's collegiate
work and a commercial course. He subsequently went to Texas where for one year he was engaged in the fruit business.
Returning to Iowa at the end of that period he married and removed to a farm in Henry county, near New London.
After cultivating his land for a year he went to Van Buren county, where he bought one hundred and sixty acres.
He cultivated this farm until 1905 when he rented his place and came to Batavia to open a real estate and fire
insurance office. Progressive and enterprising Mr. Robinson has been successful in his business and now owns a
highly improved farm in Locust Grove township near Batavia, this county.
On the 17th of January, 1900, Mr. Robinson was married to Miss Margaret Robertson, a daughter of John S. and Elizabeth
(Gilbert) Robertson. The father at that time was engaged in the real estate business in Mount Pleasant, but he
has since removed to La Grange, Illinois, where he and his wife are now residing. Two children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Robinson: Mildred, who died at the age of fourteen months; and Carroll, who was born on the 18th of
Mr. and Mrs. Robinson are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is connected with the Masonic order being
a member of Kilwinning Lodge, No. 198, A. F. & A. M., and the Odd Fellows, belonging to Ohio Lodge, No. 12o,
I. O. O. F., both of Batavia. He also holds membership in the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, Ottumwa Lodge,
No. 347, and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen, being identified with the organizations of Ottumwa. Mr. Robinson
votes the republican ticket, but, although he is interested in all matters pertaining to the municipal welfare,
has never been a candidate for political honors. He is one of the capable young business men of the town, whose
future, as gauged by his past, gives every assurance of being most promising.
History of Jefferson County, Iowa
A Record of Settlement, Organizatin,
Progress and Achievement
BY: Charles J. Fulton
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Jefferson County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium