John Wilson, who since 1900 has lived retired from business cares in Ladora, has turned his energies largely
toward public affairs and for a number of years served as mayor of his town. A native of Genesee county, New York,
his birth occurred on the t5th of July, 1825, and he is a son of John and Jane (Decker) Wilson, the former born
in Connecticut and the latter in Massachusetts. In 1828 the family removed to Allegany county, New York, and the
father followed farming there. Both, he and his wife passed away in that state, mourned by those who were intimately
associated with them.
John Wilson, who is the only survivor in the family of eight children, was reared under the parental roof and at
the usual age entered the common schools in the vicinity of his father's farm. For three years after attaining
his majority he continued to reside upon the homestead and then began farming upon his own account in New York.
The year 1856 witnessed his removal to Pennsylvania and five years later he went to Henry county, Illinois, where
he lived for two years, after which he removed to Carroll county, that state. Subsequently he resided in Tama county,
Iowa, for two years, but in 1866 took up his residence upon a farm in Hartford township, Iowa county, and continued
to operate that place until 1900. He was prompt and aggressive in the performance of his work as a farmer and as
he used good sense in making his plans and carried them out carefully it was but natural that he should prosper
financially. At length he accumulated enough of this world's goods to insure him of comfort for his remaining days
and removed to Ladora, where he has since lived in retirement from business cares.
In 1849 Mr. Wilson married Miss Mary E. Biles, who was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and they became the
parents of eight children: Sarah E., deceased wife of R. Horton; C. H., now living in Texas; J. Q., who has passed
away; Frank, of Pocahontas county, Iowa; Ida B., who married F. A. Ingraham, a resident of Oklahoma; S. S., of
Audubon county, Iowa; F. L., of Marengo; and Curtis, who has passed away. The wife and mother died in 1900 and
was laid to rest in the Sumner cemetery. In 1908 Mr. Wilson married Mrs. Lydia S. (Park) Broachey, who was born
in Lake county, Ohio, a daughter of Jonathan and Julia (Mary) Park, natives respectively of Massachusetts and Ohio.
The father died in Oklahoma and the mother in New York state.
Mr. Wilson is a republican and was one of those who helped to organize the party in 1855. For a number of years
he served as justice of the peace and has also been assessor and trustee. Since removing to Ladora he has been
honored by election to the mayoralty and has also held the position of president of the school board. Both he and
his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church and are active in promoting its influence and growth. For fourteen
years Mrs. Wilson taught in the Sunday school. Mr. Wilson still owns one hundred and twenty acres of land on sections
2 and 21, Hartford township, and his wife holds title to a fine residence in Ladora. He is likewise a stockholder
in the local bank and is one of the substantial and representative citizens of Ladora.
History of Iowa County, Iowa
And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Iowa County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium