Thomas A. Williams, a retired farmer of Williamsburg, is one of the leading republicans of this county and has
taken an active interest in public affairs. He was born in North Wales on the 9th of July, 1861, a son of William
and Jane (Thomas) Williams, who in 1869 emigrated to the United States and made their way to this county, settling
in Sumner township. The father purchased land at twenty five dollars an acre, which was considered an exorbitant
price at that time, as land sold in the same locality for seven and eight dollars per acre. He farmed during the
remainder of his active life and passed away upon the homestead on the ist of December, 1910. He had survived his
wife for fifteen years, as she died on the 19th of June, 1895.
Thomas R. Williams was reared at home and as he was but eight years of age when the family came to this county,
practically all of his education was acquired in the public schools here. He remained with his parents until he
was in his thirtieth year, when his father deeded him a farm of one hundred and forty two acres in Pilot township,
and he removed to that place, which he operated for four years. As both he and his wife were in poor health they
removed to Williamsburg, where they have since lived retired. He derives a good income from his property and is
one of the substantial residents of his town. After taking up his abode in Williamsburg he was elected assessor
of Troy township and served acceptably for one term. Subsequently he was a member of the city council and was also
mayor of Williamsburg for one term, declining a second nomination. In 1912 he was the nominee on the republican
ticket for state representative but went down t6 defeat in the democratic landslide. In 1914 he was importuned
to accept the nomination again but refused to make the race, although nomination on the republican ticket was then
equivalent to election.
In 1894 Mr. Williams married Miss Maggie M. Jones, of Williamsburg, whose parents came to this county from Oliphant,
Pennsylvania, in 1870. Mr. Williams and his wife have traveled a great deal and have thus not only increased their
knowledge but have broadened their mental horizon and their conception of things. In 1897 they spent considerable
time traveling through Europe and again in 1908 Mr. Williams, with a brother and brother in law, made a trip to
Europe, visiting many of the most important countries.
Both Mr. and. Mrs. Williams belong to the Welsh Calvinistic church, of which he is a deacon. They contribute generously
to the support of its work and are always willing to aid in any way possible in extending its influence. Fraternally,
Mr. Williams is connected with Stellapolis Lodge, No. 391, A. F. & A. M.; Troy Chapter, No. 117, R. A. M.;
and Williamsburg Lodge, No. 368, I. O. O. F. His influence has been strongly felt in public affairs in his county
and district and has always been exerted to promote the general welfare. He understands local conditions thoroughly
and as he also keeps in touch with the general trend of events in the nation and the world at large and as his
judgment is sound, his advice is often sought by the leaders of movements affecting the public good.
History of Iowa County, Iowa
And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Iowa County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium