John P. Tyler, general merchant of Ladora, Iowa, is also secretary and manager of the Farmers Supply Company,
Incorporated, dealers in lumber, grain, coal, feed, etc. He is a native of Sumner township, Iowa county, born on
the 7th of November, 1859, of the marriage of Jehiel and Rachel (Teach) Tyler. The father's parents were among
the earliest settlers in Iowa, the family arriving here in the '30s when he was but three years old. They came
to this state from the vicinity of Albany, New York, and settled about three miles from the present city limits
of Burlington. In that locality Jehiel Tyler was reared and married. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Rachel
Teach, was a native of Burlington. She was one of the first white children born in that city, which was then but
an insignificant frontier town composed of twelve or fifteen log cabins. Her parents came to Iowa from Pennsylvania
and one of her mother's direct ancestors was a sister of Daniel Boone, the great pioneer. In 1856 Mr. and Mrs.
Jehiel Tyler came to this county and settled upon a farm in Sumner township, buying the place from Nick Rosenberger,
who received a patent to the land from the government. Upon the breaking out of the Civil war Mr. Tyler joined
the Union army and was assigned to Company E, Twenty fourth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He died in the service
at Helena, Arkansas, on the 15th of February, 1863. His widow subsequently married J. B. Betz and survived for
many years, dying on the 10th of December, 1908.
John P. Tyler was reared upon the home farm and as a boy the greater part of his time was devoted to assisting
with the cultivation of the fields and the care of live stock. He attended school only when his services were not
needed upon the farm and never attended sixty five days in any one year. When he attained his majority he bought
the old home farm and operated it until 1904, in which year he removed to Ladora and embarked in mercantile business.
He was a successful fanner and in the eleven years that he has conducted a general store in Ladora he has built
up a gratifying business and has gained a place among the leading merchants of the town. He carries hardware and
furniture and also has an undertaking department. He has made it an invariable rule to give his customers the benefit
of the doubt, believing that the confidence of the general public in his unswerving integrity is an asset the value
of which cannot be overestimated. He is also secretary and manager of the Farmers Supply Company, Incorporated,
which is an important business concern of this part of the county and deals in lumber, grain, coal, feed, etc.
On the 18th of December, 1882, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Tyler and Miss Frances Kimes, a native of Hartford
township, this county. Two sons were born to this union: Arthur N., a veterinary surgeon of Victor; and John F.,
who is in the automobile business in Brooklyn. The wife and mother passed away on Christmas Day, 1887, and on the
23d of November, 1892, Mr. Tyler married Mrs Martin Zimmerman, who was in her maidenhood Miss Charity E. Penn.
They have become the parents of two children, Rachel C. and Ralph M., both of whom are attending high school in
Mr. Tyler is independent in politics, refusing to follow the dictates of any party boss. Fraternally he is a member
of Ladora Lodge, No. 622, I. O. O. F.; Francisca Chapter, No. 406, Daughters of Rebekah; and Ladora Encampment,
No. 220. Both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Protestant church and the rectitude and kindness
of their daily lives bear witness to the sincerity of their faith.
History of Iowa County, Iowa
And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Iowa County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium