Dr. D. Hanchett, a veterinary surgeon of North English, who has met with gratifying success in his profession,
was born in Michigan on the t3th of February, 1857. His parents, Mason and Sarah (Featherby) Hanchett, were natives
of Ohio and came to Iowa in 1858, settling in Black Hawk county on a farm. Subsequently they removed to Benton
county and there both passed away. They were the parents of five children: the subject of this review; Maria, the
wife of Charles Hock, of Ladora; Mortimer, deceased; Mason, a resident of Davenport, Iowa; and Jane, the wife of
Mort Houseman, of Belle Plaine, this 'state.
Dr. D. Hanchett was but eleven years of age when he left home and for a time was employed as a jockey but subsequently
turned his attention to railroad work, with which he was connected until he took up the study of veterinary medicine
and surgery. He passed the examination of the state medical board in 1900 and began practice in North English,
where he still resides, having built up a large practice in his locality. He has much practical knowledge of horses
and this, added to his thorough training in veterinary science, makes him unusually successful in his chosen work.
Dr. Hanchett was married in 1886 to Miss Eliza Pettibone, who was born in Michigan of the marriage of Albert and
Carolina Pettibone, natives of that state, who were early settlers of Iowa. Dr. and Mrs. Hanchett became the parents
of eight children: George; Bessie, the wife of 011ie Swain; Pearl, who married John Edmonson, of this county; Edith,
now Mrs. James Swain; Grace, the wife of Earl Collins; Virgie, a student in the high school; Charles; and Ray.
The wife and mother passed away on the 5th of May, 19i4, in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was
laid to rest in the North English cemetery.
Dr. Hanchett is a republican and although he is not uninterested in public affairs he has never desired political
office, his only public service being as a member of the school board. He holds membership relations with Marengo
Lodge, No. 148, I. O. O. F., and with the Knights of Luther. He owns forty acres of land in English township and
also property in North English, including the barn which he uses in connection with his business. Since coming
to North English he has made many friends and is justly held in high regard by those who are associated with him.
History of Iowa County, Iowa
And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Iowa County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium