T. M. Foster, ex-mayor of North English, is actively engaged in business there as the proprietor of a drug store.
He was born in Muscatine, Iowa, on the 17th of October, 1865, of the marriage of Isaac and Milly J. (Wood) Foster,
natives respectively 'of Ohio and of Kentucky. The paternal grandfather, David Foster, was a brother in law of
Robert Lucas, first territorial governor of Iowa, the wife of Mr. Foster being a sister of the governor's wife.
Soon after Mr. Lucas was appointed governor David Foster removed to Iowa and located in Burlington, but not long
afterward went to Louisa county, where he passed away and was buried. Robert Lucas, son of the governor, was left
with David Foster in Ohio following his father's appointment as governor and when Isaac Foster was a boy of about
sixteen years he and young Robert Lucas ran away and made their way to Burlington, whence Isaac Foster, the father
of our subject, drifted to Muscatine. This was in the early '50s and in 1855 he was married in that city and continued
to reside in Muscatine county until his fiftieth year. Following the demise of his wife he removed to Louisa county,
where he resided for about twenty years and then passed to his reward. While living in Muscatine county he followed
agricultural pursuits but after his removal to Louisa county he engaged in the livery business in Columbus Junction.
T. M. Foster was reared under the parental roof and acquired his general education in the public schools and in
Wilton Academy at Wilton, Iowa. When twenty years of age he went to Marengo and took up the study of pharmacy in
a drug store owned by Dr. W. M. Eddy. On completing his studies he took the examination of the state board of pharmacy,
which he passed. That was in the year 1888 and he was duly registered as a pharmacist at that time. He then went
to Iowa City, where he devoted one year to his profession, and then returned to Marengo as the manager of Dr. Eddy's
drug store, in which capacity he served for four years. In 1893 he came to North English and established a drug
store, to the conduct of which he has since devoted the greater part of his time and energy. He exercises the greatest
care to secure drugs of known strength and purity and also carries a well selected stock of druggists' sundries.
In 1891 occurred the marriage of Mr. Foster and Miss Esther Mary Hopkins, of Marengo, and they have three children:
Amy W., who is teaching in the North English schools; Charles H., a resident of Iowa City, who is bookkeeper in
the office of J. H. Huntzinger, a prominent building contractor of that place; and Maud L., at home. All of the
children are graduates of the North English high school and are proving useful men and women.
In political matters Mr. Foster gives his allegiance to the republican party and has been elected to a number of
positions of trust. For five years he served as a member of the town council, for nine years was treasurer of the
school board, while for two terms he held the office of mayor. All of his official service has been characterized
by single minded devotion to the public good and by efficiency, his record being one of which he has every reason
to be proud. Fraternally he belongs to Triumph Lodge, No. 479, A. F. & A, .M., and his religious faith coincides
with the teachings of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which he belongs, as do his family. As a business man,
as an official and as a private citizen he has at all times measured up to high standards and is one of those whose
lives give strength and character to the life of the community as a whole.
History of Iowa County, Iowa
And its People
By: James C. Dinwiddie
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Iowa County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium