Henry Meyer, who in the course of an active, busy and useful life has converted raw prairie land into highly
cultivated fields and is now the owner of a valuable farm property of two hundred and twenty acres situated on
section 11, Byron township, was born July 19, 1843, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, a son of Henry and Isadora
(Sullivan) Meyer, of whom mention is made on another page of this work in connection with the sketch of their son
in law, Colonel Jed Lake.
The boyhood days of Henry Meyer were spent at the old home in Pennsylvania and at Rockford and Dixon, Illinois,
following the removal of the family to the middle west. In 1855, however, another removal brought the family to
Buchanan county and their home was established in Byron township. Henry Meyer was then a youth of about twelve
years. He continued to assist his father in the task of developing and improving a new farm and at the same time
spent the winter seasons in the acquirement of his education. He gave his father the benefit of his services up
to the time of his marriage, which was celebrated on the 7th of July, 1869, Miss Sarah L. Spangler becoming his
wife. She was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, in January, 1844, and is a daughter of George and Rebecca (Cleggett)
Spangler, both of whom were natives of Maryland, the former of German lineage and the latter of English extraction.
Removing to Ohio; the father there engaged in farming until his death, which occurred when he was in middle life
and before the birth of Mrs. Meyer. His widow survived until sixty five years of age. Mrs. Meyer spent her girlhood
in the Buckeye state and about 1865 came to this county, where her brother, Samuel T. Spangler, was living. She
made the trip in order to visit her brother and here formed the acquaintance of Mr. Meyer, who sought her hand
in marriage. They have become the parents of three children Isadora, the wife of William Sherren, a resident farmer
of Byron township; Hattie Jane, the wife of J. W. Marshall, a farmer of the same township; and Lee L., who is a
school teacher and also a teacher of music, having taught for nine years in one district near the old home.
In early manhood Henry Meyer received from his father a gift of eighty acres of land which was wild and unimproved,
not a furrow having been turned upon it. He bought an adjoining tract of eighty acres which was likewise raw prairie,
and later he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of the old homestead. Tith characteristic energy he began the
development of his farm and his labors were attended with good results, his fields being brought to a high state
of cultivation, while the large crops annually garnered found a ready sale on the market. In late years Mr. Meyer
sold one hundred acres of the old homestead property to his son in law, but he still retains the ownership of two
hundred and twenty acres of excellent farm land, which he personally cultivated until two years ago. He then rented
the farm land but keeps the pasturage and is raising full blooded shorthorn cattle, which branch of his business
is bringing to him gratifying success.
In his political views Mr. Meyer has long been a stalwart republican, supporting the party since casting his first
presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln. For several years he has been roadmaster and he thoroughly recognizes the
value of good highways in this age when the question of good roads looms large on the public horizon. Otherwise
he has never sought nor desired public office but concentrates his energies upon his business affairs, which are
capably and profitably managed.
History of Bachanan County, Iowa
And its People
By Harry Church and Katharyn J. Chappell
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Bachanan County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium