Phillip J. Henderson is the owner of a farm of one hundred and twenty acres on sections 11 and 15, Homer township,
and that he thoroughly understands modern methods of farming is indicated in the excellent and well kept appearance
of his place. He was born in Brandon, Buchanan county, April 25, 1865, a son of Phillip and Olive (Howe) Henderson,
the former a native of Missouri and the latter of Canada. Phillip Henderson, Sr., arrived in this county in 1856
and was drafted for service as a soldier in the Civil war, becoming a member of the Fourth Iowa Infantry, with
which he went to the front, being on active duty until the close of hostilities. He then returned to Buchanan county,
where lie engaged in farming for some time. Eventually, however, he removed to the southwestern part of the state,
where he purchased land and carried on general farming for several years. Finally he returned to Buchanan county
and bought land in Jefferson township, bending his energies to the further development and improvement of that
place, upon which he lived for an extended period. His life's labors were ended in death on the 11th of February,
1897. His widow survives and is now a resident of Cono township.
Philip J. Henderson, whose name introduces this review, at an early age started to earn his own living by work
as a farm hand. His leisure hours were few and indolence and idleness have been utterly foreign to his nature throughout
his entire career. He continued in the service of others until he reached the age of twenty five years and then
began farming on his own account, cultivating rented land for a long time. However, he carefully saved his earnings
until his labors had brought him sufficient capital to enable him to purchase a farm in 1899. He afterward sold
that property and invested in one hundred and twenty acres on sections 11 and 15, Homer township, whereon he has
since resided. He at once began to develop and improve the property according to modern ideas of farming and has
since successfully managed the place, save for two years, which he spent in the northwestern part of the state.
The farm presents a well kept appearance, there are good buildings upon the place and these in turn are surrounded
by well tilled fields, which give every evidence of the careful supervision of the owner.
On the 10th of April, 1888, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage to Miss Minnie E. Patterson, a daughter of Nelson
H. and Margaret (Gates) Patterson, natives of New York and Pennsylvania respectively. The father was an engineer
and worked in the oil fields of Pennsylvania through the greater part of his life. He lived for one year, however,
in Buchanan county, Iowa, and then went to the Wisconsin pineries to work and was never heard from again His wife
passed away January 6, 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have become the parents of one son, George I., who was born
December 24, 1892, and is now engaged in farming in Sumner township.
The religious faith of the parents is that of the Methodist church, and the political allegiance of Mr. Henderson
is given to the republican party, which he has supported since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. The
greater part of his life has been spent in Buchanan county and, while there has been nothing spectacular in his
entire career, it is that of an enterprising agriculturist and reliable business man and a citizen whose interest
in the public welfare has been manifested in many tangible ways.
History of Bachanan County, Iowa
And its People
By Harry Church and Katharyn J. Chappell
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Bachanan County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium