P. F. HARRINGTON.
A highly improved farm is that owned by P. F. Harrington in Washington township. It comprises one hundred and twenty
acres and upon the place Mr. Harrington has resided since August, 1900. He is one of the native sons of the county,
born in 1871, his parents being John and Mary (Duffy) Harrington, both of whom were natives of Ireland. The parents
came to America when young people, and during the period of the Civil war John Harrington was with the government
in the bridge building department. Following the cessation of hostilities he removed westward to Iowa, settling
at Independence, where he began digging wells. Later he turned his attention to farming and also engaged in breeding
and raising Norman horses. At the time of his death he was the owner of four hundred and ninety acres of rich and
valuable land near Hazleton, his possessions being the visible evidence of a life of well directed energy and thrift.
He passed away in 1908, at the age of sixty eight years, while his wife died in 1888 at the age of fifty one years.
When Mr. Harrington retired from active farm life he removed to Oelwein and there his remaining days were passed.
Both he and his wife were Catholics in religious belief, and he was a stalwart advocate of the democratic party,
active in its support, yet he neither held nor desired public office. Three sons of the family still reside in
this county, one brother, T. E. Barrington, now living retired in Waterloo.
P. F. Harrington, whose name introduces this record, pursued his education in the schools of Hazleton township
and when seventeen years of age began farming with his brother, J. M. Harrington, on the old family homestead,
to the further development and improvement of which he directed his energies for five years. He then began farming
independently and in August, 1900, purchased land in Washington township, where he now owns and cultivates one
hundred and twenty acres, constituting one of the excellent farms in his part of the county His is one of the two
homes of the township supplied with electric lights. In all things he follows progressive methods and modern ideas,
and in large barns and good sheds he has provided ample shelter for both grain and stock. He raises considerable
stock, making a specialty of thoroughbred Belgian horses, Duroc Jersey hogs and Shorthorn cattle.
On June 4, 1900, Mr Harrington was married to Miss Matilda. Reide, who was born on the farm which is still her
home, her parents being Conrad and Maria (Weber) Reside, both natives of Germany. The father, who died in 1912
at the ripe old age of ninety two years, was a young man of twenty eight years when he crossed the Atlantic to
America, settling near Erie, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in farming. In 1860 he made his way westward to Iowa
and purchased land in Washington township, Buchanan county, becoming the owner of two hundred acres, constituting
one of the valuable farms in the district in which he lived. Before leaving his native land he served in the German
army. He was a member of the German Presbyterian church and his life was ever honorable and upright. To Mr. and
Mrs. Harrington have been born two children, Roland and Leo, born in 1902 and 1904, respectively, and now attending
school in Washington township.
The religious belief of the family is that of the Catholic church, and they attend St. John's church at Independence.
Mr. Harrington is a democrat in polities and has held a number of local offices, but has always preferred to concentrate
his energies upon his business affairs, in which he is now meeting with gratifying success.
History of Bachanan County, Iowa
And its People
By Harry Church and Katharyn J. Chappell
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Bachanan County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium