Charles Frush is conducting a profitable business in Jesup, where he is the owner of a general mercantile store.
Before engaging in this line of business he carried on farming and his wise direction of his business interests
combined with indefatigable industry has won him a substantial measure of success.
The birth of Mr. Frush occurred in Jefferson county, Iowa, July 4, 1871, his parents being G. H. and America L.
(Harrison) Frush. The father was born upon his father's farm in Ohio and when six years of age the grandparents
brought their family to Iowa, settling in Jefferson county, where a farm was purchased, upon which G. H. Frush
spent his boyhood and youth. He lived upon that place for fifteen years and then wedded America L. Harrison. They
removed to Osborne county, Kansas, in 1872 and Mr. Frush homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land, upon
which he took up his abode, carefully cultivating the fields for twenty one years. He then sold that property and
returned to Iowa, settling in Westburg township, Buchanan county, in 1893. Here he invested in a farm of one hundred
and sixty acres, upon which he lived for eight years, and then turned his attention to the coal business at Waterloo,
where he remained for four years. On the expiration of that period he sold his interests in the town and bought
a farm of four hundred and thirty acres in Black Hawk county, to which he afterward added a tract of forty acres.
Six years were spent in that county, after which he again disposed of his farm and removed to Waterloo, where he
and his wife still make their home. Mrs. Frush was born in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1829, and when a young lady accompanied
her parents on their removal to Jefferson county, where her marriage occurred.
Charles Frush spent his youthful days upon the homestead farm in Kansas, the family removing to the Sunflower state
when he was only about a year old. He acquired his education in the public schools and on the 16th of October,
1894, he returned to Iowa. For a year thereafter he worked as a farm hand in Buchanan county and afterward joined
his brother in renting and cultivating a tract of land in Westburg township. They remained thereon for a year but
in the spring of 1897 Charles Frush rented a farm independently.
It was about that time that he was united in marriage to Miss Ina Jones, a daughter of Henry and Mary (Hulderman)
Jones, both of whom were natives of Indiana, in which state they were educated and married. In 1883 they removed
to Kansas and purchased a farm near the Frush place. There the daughter remained until her marriage to Charles
Frush, when she accompanied her husband to Iowa. The young couple began their domestic life upon a farm which they
occupied for two years and later they lived upon a rented farm near Jesup for five years.
At the end of that time Mr. Frush turned his attention to commercial pursuits, purchasing in 1903 the general store
of R. E. Taylor at Jesup. He has since carried on merchandising and now has a good stock, covering various lines
that are usually in demand. His store is well arranged, his prices are reasonable and his business methods thoroughly
reliable. Accordingly he is meeting with success and is now one of the substantial merchants of his part of the
History of Bachanan County, Iowa
And its People
By Harry Church and Katharyn J. Chappell
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Bachanan County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium