EDWIN P. BUCKLEY.
One of the more recently established but reliable and enterprising business concerns of Rowley is that conducted
by the firm of Buckley Brothers, of which Edwin P. Buckley is a partner. The business was started only in 1913,
but the partners were already well known in their section of the county as reliable and energetic men and they
have secured a liberal patronage which is steadily growing.
Edwin P. Buckley was born in Homer township, January 23, 1876, on the old family homestead, a son of Benjamin F.
and Addle J. (Fleming) Buckley, who are mentioned elsewhere in this volume in connection with the sketch of their
son, Richard I. Buckley. The experiences of the youth of Edwin P. Buckley were those which usually come to the
farm lad. He worked in the fields through the summer months and in the winter seasons pursued his studies in the
district schools, thus gaining along both lines in knowledge which has been the foundation of his later success.
He continued with his parents until twenty three years of age and then rented land in Homer township, carrying
on general farming for five years. At the end of that time he had saved a sufficient sum to enable him to purchase
one hundred and sixty acres on sections 22 and 23, Homer township. The ability which he displayed in carrying on
farm work was manifest in the fact that he was later able to add forty acres to his original holdings. With characteristic
energy he began to till the soil and added to his farm the modern improvements which a progressive spirit demands.
He continued actively in farm work until March 1, 1913, when he rented his place and came to Rowley, where for
six months he engaged in clerking in a store. He then formed a partnership with his brother, Richard I. Buckley,
under the firm style of Buckley Brothers, and opened a general implement establishment, of which they are the proprietors.
Success has attended their efforts, it being the legitimate outcome of their energy, capable management and trustworthy
On the 10th of February, 1897, Mr. Buckley was joined in wedlock with Miss Nellie M. Lotts, a daughter of William
G. and Ella (Creighton) Lotts, the former a native of Wisconsin and the latter of Tennessee. In an early day they
arrived in Buchanan county and purchased land in Homer township, which for many years Mr. Lotts continuously cultivated.
At the present writing he is living retired in Oelwein In 1897 Mr. Buckley was called upon to mourn the loss of
his wife, who passed away on the 24th of April of that year, and on the 9th of September, 1898, he was again married,
his second union being with Delia C. Wright, a daughter of Richmond and Maria E. (Pease) Wright. Her mother was
born in Massachusetts, while her father's birth occurred in Paris, Monroe county, Missouri, October 8, 1837. He
was a son of Rev. Alfred Wright, who in 1846 brought his family to Iowa, settling in Anamosa, whence he removed
in 1853 to Quasqueton, Buchanan county, where he organized a church. Richmond Wright was educated in the district
schools and in Cornell College of Iowa. In 1855 he took his initial step in the business world in connection with
his uncle, Ransom Wright, in burning brick, which business he followed for several years. He afterward cultivated
his father's farm until 1858, and during that period carefully saved his earnings until the sum was sufficient
to enable him to purchase eighty acres of land in Liberty township. This was but the beginning of a successful
career as an agriculturist, for he bought more land from time to time until he owned three hundred and ten acres.
This he improved, adding all the modern accessories and equipments of a model farm. The remainder of his life was
carefully and systematically devoted to general agricultural pursuits with the result that he has won a place among
the prosperous farmers of the county. In 1875 he built a cheese factory and a creamery upon his place and also
conducted business along those lines. In 1863 he was united in marriage to Miss Maria E. Pease and they became
the parents of four children: William, Louise B., Delia C. and Charles A. The father, who was born October 8, 1837,
passed away February 10, 1907, when in the seventieth year of his age, and his wife, who was born January 16, 1834,
died March 18, 1908.
Mr. and Mrs. Buckley are widely and favorably known in Rowley, having a large circle of warm friends. For two years
he served as assessor of Homer township and is now filling the office of justice of the peace, his decisions being
strictly fair and impartial. He votes with the republican party, and he has membership relations with the Modern
Woodmen of America and the Methodist church, associations which indicate the rules that govern his conduct, making
him a man whom to know is to respect and honor.
History of Bachanan County, Iowa
And its People
By Harry Church and Katharyn J. Chappell
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Bachanan County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium