Stewart Beatty, residing in Rowley, is a retired farmer and merchant, whose business enterprise and activity
brought him in the course of years a well earned and well merited success. He was born in Jones county, Iowa, May
27, 1854, a son of James and Grace (Stewart) Beatty, who were natives of Ireland. The father came to America in
1834, when sixteen years of age, settling first in Philadeiphia, where he learned the machinist's trade, which
he there followed until 1849. In that year he sought the opportunities of the growing west, making his way to Cascade,
Iowa, where he purchased forty acres of land from the government at a dollar and a quarter per acre, casting in
his lot with the pioneer settlers of that region. With characteristic energy he began the development of the farm
and continued the improvement and cultivation of the place until 1876, when he came to Buchanan county and invested
in seventy two acres of land in Sumner township. Later he purchased one hundred and eighty acres and still later
an additional tract of eighty acres, making in all three hundred and thirty two acres. He bent his energies to
the development of the fields and throughout his remaining days gave his attention to his farm, which became one
of the valuable properties of the district. At the time of the Civil war he responded to the country's call for
troops, enlisting as a member of Company I, Twenty first Iowa Infantry, with which he served for one year, when
he was honorably discharged on account of disability. He died on the 19th of March, 1893, having for but a few
months survived his wife, who passed away in November, 1892.
Stewart Beatty was reared and educated in Dubuque county, Iowa, remaining with his parents until seventeen years
of age, when he started out in life to earn his living as a farm hand. After being thus employed for two years
he went to Cascade, where he learned the shoemaker's trade and then came to Independence, where he followed shoemaking
for a year. At the end of that time, however, he resumed agricultural pursuits, renting land in Homer township
which he developed for eight years. He carefully saved his earnings during that period, so that at the end of the
time he was able to purchase sixty acres in Homer township. This he at once began to improve and after selling
that property five years later he became the owner of another farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Homer township,
near Rowley. This he also developed and improved; continuing its cultivation until September, 1904, when he rented
his farm and took up his abode in Rowley, where he purchased a general store which he conducted for three years.
He then retired from active business and has since enjoyed a well earned rest. In the meantime he has made extensive
investments in town property and the supervision of his realty interests keeps him pleasantly busy, while his holdings
return to him a very gratifying annual income.
On the 11th of April, 1883, Mr. Beatty was united in marriage to Miss May H. Davis, a daughter of Thomas and Abigail
(Hayes) Davis, the former a native of England and the latter of New York. Her father was a farmer in England and
after coming to America, in 1841 learned the stonemason's trade in Quebec. Subsequently he removed to Albany, New
York, and in 1857 made his way westward to Illinois, where he worked at his trade and also followed farming. Later
he returned to New York state and in 1865 came to Iowa, purchasing land in Homer township, Buchanan county. His
time was then given to the cultivation of his farm until his death, which occurred on the 1st of November, 1896.
His wife survived him for about six years, passing away in June, 1902. Mr. and Mrs. Beatty are the parents of a
son, LeRoy Henry, now a real estate dealer of Rowley, who was married in December, 1906, to Miss Eva Hand, a daughter
of M. E. and Sarah Hand. Mr. and Mrs. LeRoy H. Beatty have become the parents of a son, Kenneth Clark, who was
born in November, 1909, and is a great favorite with his grandparents.
Mr. Beatty gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has been called to local office, serving
for four years as assessor of Homer township. He belongs to Holman Lodge, No. 593, A. F. & A. M., of Rowley,
and is also connected with the Eastern Star. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church, and
he is serving as chairman of its board of trustees and is also chairman and treasurer of the cemetery association
of Rowley. His interest in matters relating to the welfare and npbuilding of the community is deep and sincere
and has been manifest in many tangible ways. He has been a lifelong resident of Iowa, and while he now ranks among
the more prosperous citizens of Rowley and Buchanan county, his success is attributable entirely to his own efforts.
He has worked diligently and persistently as the years have gone by and has made judicious investments in property,
so that he is today one of the substantial residents of Buchanan county. Moreover, he has for many years lived
in this part of the state and is largely familiar with its history, being an interested witness of events which
have left their impress upon the development, growth and material improvement of the county.
History of Bachanan County, Iowa
And its People
By Harry Church and Katharyn J. Chappell
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Bachanan County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium