Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium
REV. EDWARD B. COUSINS is a member of the firm of Cousins & McClure, editors and proprietors of the Audubon
County Republican, Audubon, Iowa. The Republican was started in December, 1885, by Mr. Cousins and Sidney A. Foster.
The paper was continued under the management of this firm for fifteen months. In April, 1887, W. H. McClure purchased
the interest of Mr. Foster, and the paper has since been conducted by this firm. The Republican, as its name implies,
is Republican in politics. It is an eight-column folio, issued Thursday of each week, and has a good circulation.
It has done the county printing for three years, and it also does the city printing. The office is well organized
and well equipped for this work, and the paper comes from the press a neat and clean sheet. Mr. Cousins was born
in Cedar County, Iowa, May 2, 1841. He is the youngest of ten children of Robert and Ann (Beattie) Cousins. Both
the father and mother were born in Ireland, and emigrating to America they finally settled in Cedar County, Iowa,
where they both died about six months apart. Edward B. was then six years of age. His youth was spent on a farm
and he had the advantages of the common schools until lie was nineteen years old. He then went to Cornell College,
Mount Vernon, where lie pursued his studies for two years. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Twenty Forth
Iowa Infantry, as a private, serving three years. On the organization of his regiment he was sent south, and took
part in the siege of Vicksburg, also in the Red River campaign. He then went, via New Orleans, around to the Shenandoah
Valley, under General Phil Sheridan, and took part in the battles of Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, and
other smaller engagements. He was then ordered to Savannah, Georgia, then to Augusta to guard the arsenal at that
place. Afterward his regiment was ordered back to Savannah, Georgia, where Mr. Cousins was mustered out of the
service in July, 1865. He returned to Davenport, where he received his pay and final discharge. He then resumed
farming for a time, and then entered the State University at Iowa City, graduating in the academic department in
the class of 1872. Going back to the farm, he remained hut a short time, and then went to Chicago and entered the
Presbyterian Theological Seminary, graduating in 1875. In the spring of 1874, previous to his grad uation, Mr.
Cousins was licensed to preach at Wilton, by the Iowa City Presbytery. He was ordained by the Cedar Rapids Presbytery
at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, having preached at several places. In the fall and winter of 1878 and 1879 he was employed
as historian by a history firm, having their headquarters at Adel, Iowa. In the spring of 1879 lie came to Audubon
as pastor of the Presbyterian church at that place, where he remained for four years. He then carried on farming
for two years. Following this he was employed as bookkeeper for Charles Stuart & Son for two years. He then
became connected with his present newspaper work. In 1876 Mr. Cousins married Miss Lou M. Post, of Clarence, Iowa,
a daughter of E. E. Post. Mr. and Mrs. Cousins are the parents of one son, Charles Edward, who died at the age
of six years. Mr. Cousins is a member of Veritas Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; Amity Chapter, and Godfrey Commandery,
being one of the charter members of the last: He is also a member of Allison Post, No. 34, G. A. R.
Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon Counties Iowa
W. S. Dunbar & Co., Publishers.