Dr. Philip H. Letourneau, practicing in Waukon along modern and scientific lines, is recognized as an able exponent
of his profession and the liberal patronage accorded him is proof of the confidence reposed in him by the general
public. He is a native of Illinois, born in Bourbonnais Grove, Kankakee county, April 20, 1860, and is a son of
Hon. George R. Letourneau, born in Canada, of French ancestry. George R. Letourneau came to the United States and
settled in Illinois, where he was one of the pioneers in Kankakee county. In 1849 he crossed the plains by wagon
train going to California, but at Fort Laramie was seized with typhoid fever and was obliged to remain there for
six weeks, his partner and friend nursing him through his illness. Upon his recovery they journeyed on horseback
to the gold mines of California and for some time engaged in freighting from Sacramento to the gold fields, a distance
of two hundred miles. Mr. Letourneau later turned his attention to mining and after three years returned to Illinois
with about five thousand dollars in gold, which he invested in land near Kankakee. He purchased two hundred and
forty acres and opened up a new farm, clearing and fencing the property and improving it with a fine residence,
a barn and substantial outbuildings. He farmed there for a number of years, eventually selling his property at
two hundred and fifty dollars per acre. During this time he also engaged in the grain business in Kankakee, building
a large elevator, which he afterward sold. He was one of the prominent men of affairs in Kankakee county and left
the impress of his work and personality upon its political history. He served for a number of years as supervisor
and was afterward for two terms in the state senate during Governor Altgeld's administration. He made an honorable
record in this and other official positions of trust and honor and was county treasurer of Kankakee county at the
time of his death. His wife, who was in her maidenhood Miss Elodie Langlois, passed away in 1896, and was survived
by her husband until December, 1907. In their family were twelve children. six sons and six daughters, of whom
nine grew to maturity.
Dr. Philip H. Letourneau was reared in Kankakee, Illinois, and acquired his preliminary education in the public
schools of that section. After completing the high school course he studied medicine in Northwestern University,
graduating from the medical department with the class of 1881, when he was twenty one years of age. He returned
home and spent the following summer in Kankakee county, moving in the fall of that year to Chippewa Falls, where
he opened an office and began the practice of his profession. He remained there for twelve years and secured a
gratifying and lucrative patronage in recognition of his ability and the excellent results which attended his labors.
For the last seven years of that time he was connected with St. Joseph's Hospital and for two years served as county
coroner. When he left Chippewa Falls Dr. Letourneau moved to Dubuque, where he practiced his profession for one
year, going at the end of that time to Lowden, Iowa, where for one year he managed the practice of one of the old
physicians there. From Lowden he came to Waukon and in 1896 opened an office here, where he has since been an honored
member of the medical fraternity. From the beginning he was accorded a liberal patronage, which has increased yearly,
being now of gratifying proportions. Dr. Letourneau is an earnest and scientific student of the underlying principles
of medicine and never considers his professional education complete, keeping in touch with the most advanced medical
thought by taking postgraduate courses from time to time. He is an exhaustive reader along professional lines and
in his practice his labors have been attended with excellent results viewed from both a financial and professional
standpoint. He owns a good home in Waukon and valuable farming property near San Antonio, Texas, upon which Bermuda
onions are extensively grown.
Dr. Letourneau married, in 1897, Miss Angelia Dodge, who was born and reared in Wisconsin. Mrs. Letourneau is a
member of the Waukon Methodist Episcopal church and well known in religious and social circles. The Doctor is interested
in community affairs and is a public spirited citizen, who has done effective work for the welfare of the community.
He is a member of the Knights of Pythias. A student of the signs of the times, he keeps in touch with the trend
of modern thought concerning matters of general interest as well as of professional advancement and has made a
creditable record as a member of the medical fraternity.
Past and Present of Allamakee County, Iowa
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievemant
By: Ellery M. Hancock
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Allamakee County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium