Thure T. Ericson, who is now in the tenth year of his able service as justice of the peace in Waukon, was born
in Sweden, April 2, 1862. He is a son of C. J. Ericson, also a native of Sweden, who grew to manhood there and
married, his wife having been in her maidenhood Miss Wilhelmina Charlotte Mattsson. They came to America in 1867
and in June of the same year settled in Center township, Allamakee county, where the father purchased a small farm
and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. From time to time he bought more land and added it to his original
holdings until he owned five hundred acres well improved and developed. Upon that property he raised his family
and there died July 3, 1908. His wife survives him.
Thure T. Ericson was reared upon his father's farm and in his childhood aided in its operation. He acquired his
preliminary education in the public schools of the section and supplemented this by a course in a commercial school
and one term under Professor Loughran. After laying aside his books he carried on general agricultural pursuits
upon the homestead for some timed, afterward going to LaCrosse, where he secured employment in the lumber mills.
While on the farm he gave a great deal of his time to the manufacture of sorghum and during one fall made over
four thousand gallons. He spent only two summers in the lumber mills and was afterward for ten years manager of
a farm belonging to Dr. W. C. Earle. This property comprised two hundred acres and was conducted as a dairy farm,
being equipped with all modern, sanitary and labor saving machinery. There was a cream separator and a large churn.
The output was from one hundred to two hundred pints of cream into butter each week. He made an exhibit of his
dairy products at the county fair and took first premium on butter.
Mr. Ericson moved into Waukon in 1902 and at first turned his attention to the real estate business, buying and
selling town property and Dakota, Iowa and Minnesota lands. In the fall of the same year, however, he was elected
justice of the peace and has been reelected each succeeding term for ten years, discharging his duties in an able,
conscientious and far sighted way. He still deals to some extent in real estate and owns his own residence on Pleasant
street which is comfortable and attractive in every particular.
Mr. Ericson married in Center township, March 16, 1892, Miss Hannah Swenson, a native of Allaniakee county and
of Swedish parentage, her father, P. J. Swenson, having been born in that country and having come as a pioneer
to Allamakee county. Mr. and Mrs. Ericson are members of the Baptist church of Vaukon and are well known in religious
and social circles of the city. Mr. Ericson is a musician of great talent and ability and is entirely self educated
in this art, having studied it by himself after he reached maturity. He has been identified with several bands
which were well known in this section of the state and for years was a member of a cornet band. He was for three
years with the band connected with the Fifty third Regiment of Iowa and was the organizer of the Center Band, of
which he was the director for nine years. This was composed of from twelve to sixteen musicians. Politically Mr.
Ericson gives his allegiance to the republican party and is intelligently interested in public affairs, although
not a politician in the sense of office seeking. Having lived in this section since his childhood, he is widely
and favorably known here, and in the course of an honorable and upright life has gained the respect and esteem
of all who are associated with him.
Past and Present of Allamakee County, Iowa
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievemant
By: Ellery M. Hancock
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Allamakee County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium