BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES FROM KILLINGLY, CT

FROM
HISTORY OF WINDHAM COUNTY, CONNECTICUT

EDITED BY RICHARD M. BAYLES

W. W. PRESTON & CO., NEW YORK 1889



William A. Atwood - Edwin H. Bugbee - Henry N. Clemons - Thomas J. Evens - Timothy Earle Hopkins - Arnold M. Paine - Henry Westcott


WILLIAM A. ATWOOD. - Mr. Atwood was one of the most prominent figures in the industrial interests of Killingly. His grandparents were Kimball and SelindaCoigrove Atwood. His father was John Atwood, who married Julia A. Battey. Their son, William Allen, was born August 4th, 1833, in Williamsville, in the town of Killingly, and received more than an elementary education. First entering the Danielsonville High School, he continued his studies at the Scituate Seminary in Rhode Island, and at Wilbraham, Mass., completing his academic education at Middleboro, Mass. He early entered the Williamsvifle mills, then under the superintendence of his father, and having made himself familiar with their practical workings, soon bore a conspicuous part in the management of the business. The failing health of his father threw much of the responsibility upon his son, and on the death of the former in 1865, the entire direction of this important manufacturing interest was placed in his hands. Under his watchful eye the business made rapid advancement, and at the date of his death, on the 26th of June, 1881, in New York city, had attained a high degree of prosperity.

Mr. Atwood was married October 4th, 1855, to Caroline A., daughter of Robert K. and Helen Brown Hargraves. Their four children are: Henry Clinton; Bradford Allen, who died in infancy; Mary Elizabeth, deceased, wife of G. W. Lynn, and William Edwin. Both the sons are interested in the Williamsville Manufacturing Company, Henry Clinton being the superintendent, assistant treasurer and secretary. Mr. Atwood was also a stockholder in the large mills at Taftville, and a director of the First National Bank of Killingly. He enjoyed not only the esteem of the community, but the affectionate regard of his employes. This was accomplished by a genial intercourse and a liberal and thoughtful management of his varied interests. In disposition he was retiring and unassuming, doing many kindly acts with such a quiet grace as to make them known only to the recipients of his favor. It has been justly said that he belonged to that class of men who

" * * * do good by stealth,
And blush to find it fame."

The profound mourning his death occasioned was a just tribute to his usefulness and worth.




EDWIN H. BUGBEE. - The subject of this sketch was born in Thompson, April 26th, 1820. His father was James Bugbee, who was born at Woodstock April 11th, 1788, a descendant, through Hezekiab, James, Samuel and Joseph, from Edward Bugby, who came over in the "Francis" from Ipswich, England, in 1634, and settled in Roxbury, Mass. His mother was Elizabeth Dorrance, a descendant of George Dorrance, who came from the North of Ireland with that large Scotch emigration about the year 1715. He received his education in the public scbcols of his native town, and was early a clerk in his father's store, devoting his leisure hours to reading and study. In 1839 he was engaged by a manufacturing firm, located at the Lyman village, North Providence, R. I., as clerk and bookkeeper. The year proving a disastrous one for cotton manufacturers, the firm felt obliged to suspend operations before its close. In the spring of 1840, operations were again resumed at the mill by its owner, Governor Lemuel H. Arnold, and Mr. Bugbee was continued as clerk. At the close of 1842 business was again suspended by the failure of Governor Arnold. The summer following, Mr. Bugbee obtained a lease of the factory property, and associating with him Mr. Henry Weaver, a piactical operator, and receiving abundant financial aid from his friends, the well known firm of S. & W. Foster, of Providence, commenced business on his own account. Although at the commencement the outlook was not flattering, by an unprecedented advance in the price of print cloths, together with prudent management, the business showed at the expiration of the lease gratifying and substantial returns. At the close of the lease, the factory having been sold in the meantime, Mr. Bugbee returned to his native town, having, during the year, purchased a farm in Thompson; but not finding the business of farming at all -congenial to his taste, sold it, and in the summer of 1849 entered the employ of the Willianisville Manufacturing Company, of Killingly, S. & W. Foster the Providence agents, with whom he remained thirty years, retiring in 1879.

Mr. Bugbee seems to have early won the esteem of the citizens of Killingly, they conferring various town offices upon him, and in 1857 elected him as one of their representatives to the general assembly, be serving at this session on the judiciary committee. Although a new member and without legislative experience, he at once took a prominent part in the debates of the session, always commanding the close attention of the house, receiving commendation at the close of the session from political papers of both parties. In 1859 be was again returned to the house and appointed chairman of the committee on education. In 1861, the war year, he was elected to the house for the third time, and .was again chairman of the committee on education. This session was one of the most important in the history of the state, the inauguration year of the great rebellion; and had enrolled among the members of either house some of its ablest men. At its commencement the marshaling of troops had already begun, the sound of war everywhere heard, and the ways and means for furnishing material aid and support to the federal government were the engrossing subjects of discussion. At this áession the subject of our sketch again took a prominent part on the floor of the house. Aside from war questions at this session, the most exciting subject was that of the Flowage Bill. This bill was ably discussed po and con, Mr. Bugbee making a lengthy speech in its favor, which was highly commended. In 1863 be was again elected, serving as chairman of the committee on state prison. In 1865 he was elected state senator from the 14th district by the large majority of 1,223 votes. On the floor of the Senate- as in the house he proved an active member. At this session be was chairman of the committee on banks, and one of the eulogists in the senate on the death of President Lincoln. In 1868 he was elected senator for the second time and chosen president pro tem. of that body, serving as chairman of the committee on military affairs. In 1869 be was in the house and. again chairman of the committee on education. He was elected to the house in 1871 and chosen speaker. in which capacity he won especial favor and commendation. In 1873 he was a member of the house and chairman of the committee on new towns and probate districts. He was elected for the eighth time to the house in 1879, receiving the major vote of both political parties of Killingly, and was chairman of the committee on cities and boroughs.

The partiality of the voters of his adopted town in having elected him eight times their representative-something unusual in Connecticut towns, we think-and on two occasions giving him large majorities for senator, must have been exceedingly gratifying to the subject of our sketch. Mr. Bugbee, though an earnest republican, has never been a violent partisan; and by his non-partisan action when a member of the legislature, has received more or less democratic support. Through all the years of his legislative career he was ever attentive to his duties, seldom failing to answer to roll calls, participating in most of the important debates, always listened to with attention, receiving credit in either house as among their most eloquent speakers.

He married, in 1865, Selenda Howard, daughter of Howard Griswold, Esq., of Randolph, Vt. She deceased in July of the following year. He has retired from active business and at present resides in Putnam, Conn. He is a life member of the New England Historic-Genealogical Society, and its vice-president for Connecticut, and is much interested in genealogical investigation. He has been one of the directors of the First National Bank of Putnam since the first year of its existence. He is represented as being heartily in favor of tariff and civil service reform, and condemns as unpatriotic the policy so often pursued by the political party that is out of power of opposing on purely partisan grounds and for party purposes the measures proposed by the party in power, which very measures if they, the minor. ity, were in power they themselves would recommend and advocate.




HENRY N. CLEMONS, cashier of the First National Bank of Killingly, was born in Granby, Conn., son of Allen and Catharine Clemons. He was educated in. the district school, the Granby Academy, the Suffield Literary Institution and the Williston Seminary, East Hampton, Mass. He began teaching at sixteen years of age, and taught in Hartland, Granby and Hartford, Coun., and Woonsocket and Central Falls, R.I. He was for a while in the office of the commissioner of the school fund in Hartford, Conn. In 1844 he commenced railroading on the New Haven & Northampton road, with the engineer corps. He served as station agent at Farmington and Collinsville, Conn., and was assistant postmaster at the latter place; then ticket agent of the Providence & Worcester road at Providence. In 1855 he commenced banking, as clerk in the Arcade Bank, at Providence, and in 1856 became teller of the Merchants' Bank, then the redeeming bank for Rhode Island, in the old Suffolk system. In June, 1864, he was elected cashier of the First National Bank of Killingly, Conn., then just organized, which office he now holds, after more than twenty-five years' service, a period longer than any other cashier in eastern Connecticut. The capital of the bank is $110,000. With its July dividend, 1889, it had paid back to its stockholders $226,600 in dividends. In August, 1864, he was elected treasurer of the Windham County Savings Bank, and organized the bank, and held that position till 18'Th. Under his treasurership the bank's deposits reached $l.300,000. It was the first savings bank in eastern Connecticut to allow interest to commence each month. In 1866-7 the savings bank built, under his supervision, their present bank building. On the organization of the Music Hall Company he was chosen treasurer, and arranged in its building the banking rooms now occupied be the national bank. In 1866 be was cbosen treasurer of District No. 1, Killingly, and on. the union of districts 1 and 2 was re-elected, carrying out the financial arrangements needed in building the high school house, holding the office for eighteen years. Mr. Clemons was treasurer of the Congregational church for thirteen years, and has been notary public for twenty-five years in. this state.




THOMAS J. EVANS, who was born May 17th, 1826, in Brooklyn, Connecticut, is the son of Elijah Evans, and the grandson of Elisha Evans. His active career was begun at the age of seventeen, as a teacher in Killingly, where he continued for ten successive years, his last term at Dayville having closed with an interesting exhibition, the proceeds of which aided greatly in the purchase of a library and other school supplies. For five years he was engaged in the clothing business in the above village, and his capital was afterward invested in a livery stable which he successfully managed for nine years at the same point. In the year 1878 Mr. Evans erected a substantial brick block in Danielsonyule, and the following year made that place his residence. His political connections were with the republican party, which he frequently represented in the various county and town offices. He was for sixteen years a member of the board of education, for five years assessor, three years town clerk, and judge of probate from 1872 to 1886. He was also warden of the borough and a member of the court of burgesses. For two years he was president of the Wiudham County Agricultural Society and four years its treasurer. Mr. Evans was married in 1850 to Miss Eliza Kennedy. His death occurred in 1889.




TIMOTHY EARLE HOPKINS. - The grandparents of Mr. Hopkins were Timothy Hopkins, born in 1751, and Sarah Carver,. daughter of Captain Joseph Carver. His father was Carver Hopkins, born October 26th, 1799, who married Abby K. Manchester. Their children, seven in number, were: Israel M., Florinda A., Sarah C., Abby E., Ann E., Timothy E. and Lillian P., of whom all but the eldest son are still living. Timothy Earle Hopkins was born in Burriliville, R. I., December 5th, 1835, of which place he continued a resident until 1862: His education was received inthe public schools and at New Hampton, N. H., where a year was spent in study, after which he served an apprenticeship as a spindle maker in his native town. He then engaged for two years in mercantile business, and at the expiration of this time removed to Providence, where three years were spent as a merchant. In 1865 Mr. Hopkins removed to Thompson and embarked in the manufacture of cotton goods, remaining at this point until 1870, when Burrillville again became his home. Here he continued the business of a manufacturer, the product of his mills being woolen fabrics. In 1876 he suffered disaster and loss as a consequence of the severe flood of that year, and soon after removed to Fitchburg, Mass., where until 1880 he continued the manufacture of woolens. Mr. Hopkins then became a resident of Danielsonville, his present home, where he is still engaged in the production of woolen goods in the town of Killingly. He is also treasurer of the Jesse Eddy Manufacturing Company, of Fall River, Mass., and one of the promoters of the Crystal Water Company, of Danielsonville, of which corporation he is president. He is a director of the First National Bank of Killingly. Mr. Hopkins in politics gives his support to the republican party, and represented the town of Thompson in the Connecticut house of representatives in 1868. He has also, since his residence in Danielsonville, been active in furthering the educational interests of the borough. He is an active Mason, member of Friendship Lodge of that order at Chapachet, of Providence Chapter, and of Calvary Commandery, of Providence. Mr. Hopkins was in May, 1859, married to Marcella S., daughter of James S. Cook, of Burriliville. They have had three children-Elsie M., Earle Carver and Earle Cook; Earle Carver being deceased.




ALMOND M. PAINE.-Benjamin Paine, the grandfather of Judge Almond M. Paine, was a successful farmer in Glócester, R. I. By his marriage to Phebe Aldrich were born a numerous family of children. The birth of his son, Ransom Paine, occurred December 13th, 1787, and his death on the 15th of January, 1854, in Glocester, where he followed the trade of a wheelwright, and spent the latter years of his life as a farmer. He married Phebe, daughter of Thomas Smith, of the same town, who was born June 12th, 1794, and died March 12th, 1860. Their children are: Almond M., Mary Ann, wife of James M. Adams; Emily, married to Elijah Mann; Adaline M., who died in infancy, and James A.

The eldest son, and subject of this biography, was born Septeinber 15th, 1820, in Glocester, and received an academic education. At the early age of fifteen he engaged in teaching, and for nine successive years the winters found him at the teacher's desk, while the healthful employments of the farm engaged his attention during the summer months. In 1846 he removed to Sterling, and four years later made East Killingly his home. Here he embarked in trade as a country merchant, and continued a successful business until his retirement, since which date his time has been largely devoted to the management of his private interests, and to the public service.

As a republican he for several years filled the office of justice of the peace, and was repeatedly elected assessor of his town. In 1857 he was made judge of probate and served four years, having also, during a brief residence in Thompson, been chosen to the same office for a term of two years. He was appointed by President Lincoln postmaster of East Killingly, and held the commission during that administration. Judge Paine was in 1864 made a director of the First National Bank of Killingly, and later a corporator and trustee of the Windbam County Savings Bank. His services are often sought as administrator and trustee, where integrity and judgment are primary qualities. Judge Paine was in 1847 married to Phebe Saisbury of Foster, Rhode Island, born April 28th, 1817, who died in 1878. Their children are: Eliza D., born May 31st, 1848, who died in 1879; and Emily M., whose birth occurred June 12th, 1854.




HENRY WESTCOTT. - James Westcott, the grandfather of Henry Westcott, familiarly known as the "Captain," was born March 5th, 1740, and married Martha Tillinghast. Their son Joseph, whose birth occurred April 9th, 1779, in Glocester, Rhode Island, married Esther Richmond of the same town. The children of this union were: Henry; Almira, wife of Jude Sabin; Elizabeth, married to James Wood; and David. Henry, the eldest son, was born April 18th, 1801, in Glocester, and in early childhood removed to East Killingly, where the primitive schools of the clay afforded him a beginning for that practical education which was chiefly the growth of experience and observation.

In early years a farmer, he afterward identified himself with the commercial interests of East Killingly, and was associated with Thomas Pray as a manufacturer, under the firm name of Westcott & Pray. They built the Ross mill and the Whitestone mill, conducted an extensive business, and were regarded as among the most prosperous owners of mill property in the county. Mr. Westcott's marked ability, keen discrimination 'and indomitable perseverance won for him an enviable reputation in financial circles, and carried him safely through many a crisis where a less resolute man would have faltered. In his business relations he enjoyed a record for integrity and generous dealing, while his genial nature made all transactions a matter of pleasure to others. On disposing of his interest at East Killingly, he retired to Danielsonville, his residence at the date of his death, on the 5th of June, 1878. Mr. Westcott was an active and honored member of the Baptist church, and contributed with liberality toward the erection of the new edifice in the borough where he resided. In politics a whig and republican, he filled the more important town offices, and was elected to the state legislature in 1840. Mr. Westcott was, on the 3d of February, 1824, married to Almira Browning of Rutland, Mass. Their eldest child, Nancy N., died in infancy. The surviving children are a daughter, A. Elizabeth, and a son, Henry T., both of Danielsonville.

Return to [Windham County Bio's ] [ Online Biographies ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy