M. ALFORD, M. D., is a native of Wilson County, Tennessee. His father, Weilie Alford, was a farmer in Tennessee,
and there young Alford was reared and received such an education as the State afforded, taking his medical course
at the University at Nashville, where he graduated in 1856.
Dr. Alford began the practice of his profession at Boston, eastern Texas, where he purchased 400 acres of land
and also carried on general farming. In 1862 he volunteered for the Confederate service, in the Firsc Mounted Battalion
from Texas, Major Crump, and as surgeon of his battalion was in active duty until the close of the war, with the
exception of one leave of absence. He was in many sharp battles but was never wounded, and received his discharge
at Meridian, Mississippi, May 8, 1865.
He then returned to Texas, found everything disorganized, became disgusted with the country and in 1868 went to
New York and took steamer for California, coming via the Isthmus route. The Doctor was married at Boston, Texas,
in 1860, to Miss Josephine M. Poker. Landing at San Francisco, they came to Tulare County and located at White
river to look after the interests of a toll road across the Green Horn mountains to Kernville, which had been built
by Dr. Alford's father in law, W. B. Poker. Besides attending to this business the Doctor also engaged in the practice
of his profession. After remaining there five years he sold his two thirds interests in the road to Kern County,
and returned to Texas, located at Fort Worth and followed his profession two years. Again deciding to visit California,
he came to Porterville, Tulare County, subsequently locating in Tulare. This was about 1878, soon after the town
of Tulare was started. He bought property on the corner of Tulare and K streets, and there established his office.
After passing through two fires, the Doctor erected a brick store and office building in 1890. He also owns other
city property and a ranch of 920 acres, devoted chiefly to grain farming.
In 1889 Dr. Alford retired from practice and bought property at Santa Cruz, where, with his family, he passed sixteen
months in rest and idle recreation. Since then he has returned to Tulare and engaged in the practice of medicine.
Dr. and Mrs. Alford have four children,- William H., Josephine Pearl, Forrest L. and Daisy. He is a member of Olive
Branch Lodge, F. & A. M., and of Tulare Lodge, No. 76, A. O. U. W. William H. Alford, the older sou, is engaged
in the practice of law in Tulare County. Pearl, the older daughter, is a teacher in the public schools of Santa
Cruz. Forrest is attending the University of the Pacific, and Daisy, the youngest of the family, is attending the
high school in Tulare City.
Memorial and Biographical History
of the counties of
Fresno, Tulare and Kern,
The Lewis Publishing Company
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium