LEWIS G. HARRIER.
Lewis G. Harrier of the law firm of Harrier & Greenwood in practice at Vallejo, former judge of the superior
court of Solana county, former superintendent of the schools of Vallejo, former city attorney and for years one
of the most conspicuous factors in the general civic and social life of this community, a helpful influence along
all lines of proper development, is a native son of Solano county and with the exception of a few years in the
days of his young manhood spent in the mining districts of this state has ever been a resident of this county.
Judge Harrier is a son of Daniel W. and Maria (Lee) Harrier, the latter of whom, a native of Massachusetts, had
come to California in 1854 with her father, the pioneer John Lee, who became a resident of Solano county. Daniel
W. Harrier, a native of Pennsylvania, came to California in 1860 and became in his generation one of the most widely
known and influential citizens of Solano county. Until his retirement at the age of seventy eight years he was
engaged in business and was quite successful. He also took an active and interested part in the general civic affairs
of the community and had at one time and another filled effectively and with dignity various city and county offices,
so that there were few men in the county who had a wider and better acquaintance than he. Judge Harrier's genealogy
on his mother's side has been traced back through the Colby name to Robert de Colebi, who lived in England in 1199,
the time of King John. A descendant of this ancient resident of England named Anthony Colby, came to America with
Governor Winthrop's Company and settled in Boston in 1630. His son, Samuel, was a soldier in King Phillip's Indian
war in 1676. Hannah Colby, grandmother of Judge Harrier, came to Vallejo in 1854.
Reared at Vallejo, Lewis G. Harrier was graduated from the high school there and in 1880 became engaged as a teacher
in the Vallejo city schools, a profession he maintained for seven years or until in 1887, during four years of
which time he served as superintendent of the city schools and did much to advance the standards of the educational
system here. He was graduated from the State University (where he was a member of the fraternity Beta Theta Pi)
with the Ph. B. degree and studied law at home while teaching school. In 1885 he was admitted to the bar. For some
time also during that early period of Judge Harrier's practice he was engaged in the local newspaper business,
editor and publisher of the Vallejo Chronicle, working in partnership with W. D. Pennycook. In 1894 he was elected
city attorney and for six years occupied that office. Prior to that and for four years (1889-93) he had rendered
public service as assistant to the district attorney and had come to be recognized as one of the leading lawyers
of this section. It was in 1905, under appointment of Governor Pardee, that Judge Harrier ascended the bench of
the Solace county superior court. By election he served a second term on that bench and then, declining renomination,
retired from the bench in order to resume the general practice of law. In 1919 he formed a partnership in practice
with Harlow V. Greenwood (q. v.), under the firm name of Harrier & Greenwood, and this mutually agreeable arrangement
has since been maintained, the firm having well appointed offices at 508 1/2 Sacramento street in Vallejo. Judge
Harrier's practice is not confined to the courts of this county, for he often is called on cases in other counties
throughout the state and since 1895 he has been a member of the bar of the United States supreme court. In addition
to his extensive law practice the Judge has other interests of a substantial character in and about Vallejo and
is a stockholder and director in several important commercial and industrial enterprises here.
On May 19, 1897, at Berkeley, this state, Lewis G. Harrier was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Penny, who was
graduated from the University of Michigan in 1892. Mrs. Harrier is a daughter of Charles V. Penny, who was a member
of that historic convention or mass meeting held "under the oaks" at Jackson, Michigan, July 6, 1854,
out of which came the organization which has since functioned under the name of the republican party. Mrs. Harrier
is eligible for membership in the Mayflower Society, having had an ancestor on that famous vessel. To Judge and
Mrs. Harrier one son, Lewis G., Jr., has been born. He is a graduate of Harvard and is now in business at San Francisco.
Judge and Mrs. Harrier are members of the Episcopal church. Judge Harrier is a past worshipful master of Solano
Lodge No. 229, Free and Accepted Masons, is also affiliated with Naval Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; with Naval Commandery
No. 19, Knights Templar, and with the Order of the Eastern Star and is likewise a Noble of the Ancient Arabic Order
of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, affiliated with Islam temple at San Francisco. He is an active member of the local
parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West and has membership also in the local lodges of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Solano County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium