THE SAN FRANCISCO STATE TEACHERS COLLEGE
San Francisco has just reason to be proud of its educational institutions, among the principal ones being the San
Francisco State Teachers College. This excellent school had its origin in 1875, when a normal class was established
for the purpose of giving a year's instruction in the methods of teaching to graduates of the Girls' high school.
Through an act of the state legislature, dated March 22, 1899, the State Normal School was established in San Francisco,
and the normal class was discontinued. The new school was first housed on Powell street, between Clay and Sacramento,
in a structure which was lent by the city board of education. A year later Le Conte school was added as a training
In the disastrous fire of 1906, all of the buildings and equipment were destroyed. For a short time thereafter
the work was carried on in the Grant school of Oakland, California, while temporary quarters were being constructed
in San Francisco at Waller and Buchanan streets, which was a site previously acquired by the state. By degrees
the two blocks bounded by Buchanan, Laguna, Waller and Haight streets have been acquired by the institution, and
the old buildings are being replaced with new, modern structures. Anderson Hall for the natural sciences, a gymnasium,
a primary, kindergarten and a training school building have already been finished. The state has recently purchased
Recreation park for the physical education program. Ten years are expected to be utilized in the pretentious building
program adopted by the state.
During the first quarter century of the existence of the San Francisco State Teachers College, the president was
Dr. Frederic Burk. He died in 1924, and Archibald Anderson became acting president. The latter succeeded to the
presidency in 1927, but died soon after this honor was bestowed upon him. Miss Mary A. Ward was then appointed
acting president, and finally on September 1, 1927, Dr. Alexander C. Roberts, of the University of Washington,
was named to the position and is the present incumbent. A biography of Dr. Roberts is printed upon another page
of this volume.
The college itself was established for the purpose of training teachers and giving service to teachers. Graduates
are recommended for certification to teach in elementary, kindergarten, primary, and junior high schools. Many
special courses are provided toward credentials in administration, supervision, music, art, and physical education.
Courses for other special types of teaching are likewise being planned. Fundamental academic training has been
set up in the new four year curriculum for those who desire certificates to teach in high school. Upon the completion
of this work, the Bachelor's degree is granted to students who transfer to one of the universities for the required
graduate courses. During the freshman and sophomore years, academic courses in liberal arts, fine arts, science,
art, biological and physical science, English, music, mathematics, modern languages, psychology and social science
give broad cultural background for later specialized professional training.
The History of San Francisco, California
Lewis Francis Byington, Supervising Editor
Oscar Lewis, Associate Editor
The S. J. Clark Publishing Company
Chicago-San Francisco 1931
San Francisco, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium