Rev. Joseph A. McAuliffe, who is prominent in the Catholic clergy of San Francisco, California, as the pastor
of St. Charles Church at Eighteenth and Howard streets, was born in this city May 23, 1871. When he was nineteen
years of age, he began to prepare for the priesthood, and for this purpose attended Sacred Heart College, St. Mary's
University, and the University of Lille in France. He was ordained by Archbishop Sonoas in Cambrai, France, in
the year 1898.
Father McAuliffe was at first assistant pastor at St. Brigid's Church in San Francisco, and his first regular charge
was at St. Augustine's in Pleasanton, Alameda county, California. In 1913, he came to St. Charles in San Francisco.
He has made marked developments in this parish since his arrival, and in 1916 he constructed the present church
building, which is considered one of the finest in the city. He likewise built the pastor's house, the hall, the
convent, and the parochial school. in the conduct of his work, he' has two assistants, Rev. Leon F. Bernard and
Rev. Martin J. Egan.
St. Charles Roman Catholic Church was founded March 27, 1887, by the late Archbishop Riordan, and Rev. P. J. Cummins
was the first pastor and built the first church. Other early pastors were Father McDonald and Father Ganne. St.
Charles has a membership of four hundred and fifty families. The parochial school is conducted by the Sisters of
the Holy Cross, fifteen of them being engaged in the teaching. The annual novena to St. Therese, known as the Little
Flower, is observed each year at the church under the direction of Father McAuliffe. Devotions follow as closely
as possible the traditional ceremonies at Lisieux, France, where the Little Flower lived and died as a Carmelite
nun. Yearly thousands of Catholics from all parts of the city attend the devotions in honor of the Little Flower.
Services are featured by the blessing of pilgrims, making the novena with a true relic of the Little Flower given
to Father McAuliffe by the pope of Rome.
The History of San Francisco, California
Lewis Francis Byington, Supervising Editor
Oscar Lewis, Associate Editor
The S. J. Clark Publishing Company
Chicago-San Francisco 1931
San Francisco, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium