Jeremiah F. Collins, who is the present efficient secretary and jury commissioner of the municipal courts in
San Francisco, and is the first to occupy this newly created position, has been for many years in public service.
He was born in San Francisco, August 8, 1872, and is a son of Patrick and Gertrude (Allman) Collins.
Mr. Collins' parents were married in New Zealand, whence they came to California. Previous to his trip to New Zealand,
Patrick Collins had gone to Australia, where he was one of the original discoverers of gold. Corning to San Francisco
in 1868, he brought a fortune of three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars with him, but like many other
men of his day he speculated with his money and lost nearly all of it. He then went to Bodie, in Mono county, California,
and once again engaged in gold mining. Once more luck was with him, and he acquired wealth of importance. He then
returned to San Francisco, where he entered the transfer business, continuing therein until his death in 1890.
His widow survived him until January, 1903.
Jeremiah F. Collins attended St. Ignatius College in San Francisco when that institution was situated on Market
street, and later he entered Sacred Heart College, from which school he graduated in 1888. His first employment
after laying aside his text books was with the old Edison Light & Power Company (which subsequently became
the Pacific Gas & Electric Company) as an electrician. He resigned his position with this company to accept
the honor of being assemblyman to represent the twenty ninth district, to which office he had been elected. He
served in this capacity for one term, and then on March 1, 1901, entered the employ of the city of San Francisco.
He was appointed first deputy in the justice courts in 1904, and later was made chief deputy of this department
of the city administration. His present office, that of secretary and jury commissioner of the municipal courts,
was created by an act of the state legislature in the 1931 session of that body, and Mr. Collins is the first man
to hold this office.
On June 10, 1904, Mr. Collins was married to Miss Mary Brandon, a daughter of Patrick and Ann Brandon, who were
early residents of San Francisco. Patrick Brandon fought in the Civil war as a member of a New York regiment. Mrs.
Collins, the youngest in a family of eighteen children, is a sister of former Supervisor E. J. Brandon of San Francisco,
who was one of the builders of the present city hall Mr. and Mrs. Collins have one son, Raymond F., who is a graduate
of St. Ignatius College and the Sacred Heart College. On the 12th of September, 1931, Raymond F. Collins married
Miss Mary Cummings, a native daughter of San Francisco.
Jeremiah F. Collins is a third degree member of the Knights of Columbus, and also is affiliated with the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, the Loyal Order of Moose, the Independent Order of Foresters, and Rincon Parlor,
No. 72, of the Native Sons of the Golden West. He has won many friends by his loyal cooperation and labors in city
affairs, and by the friendly spirit he has consistently manifested toward his fellow citizens during his career.
The History of San Francisco, California
Lewis Francis Byington, Supervising Editor
Oscar Lewis, Associate Editor
The S. J. Clark Publishing Company
Chicago-San Francisco 1931
San Francisco, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium