CAPT. C. C. MILLER
The late C. C. Miller was one of the pioneers of Riverside, whither he brought his family in 1873, and from that
time until his death he was closely identified with its growth and development. He was born in Oneida county, N.
Y., in 1824, into the family home of Chauncey and Alice (Reney) Miller, both natives of that same county, where
his grandfather, Grant Miller, settled in the early days of the colonies and built the first house in that vicinity.
He died when his son, C. C., was but four years of age; the widow afterwards became the wife of Judge Aaron Burley.
C. C. Miller received a good education in the public schools of New York state until about twenty one, when he
joined the family in Ohio, where he entered Oberlin College. Two years later he entered Cleveland University and
was graduated therefrom in 1852 in civil engineering, which profession he made his specialty. Subsequently he was
employed in the construction department of the Illinois Central and Atlantic and Ohio Railroads for two years.
He then moved to Tomah, Wis., and for the next ten years was engaged In building many railroads in Wisconsin and
Minnesota, and also in land surveying, and was prominently identified with the building up of Monroe county. He
enlisted for service in the Civil war and was commissioned captain of Company M, Forty ninth Volunteer Infantry,
and was assigned to duty in Missouri under General Dodge. His engineering skill soon became known and he was called
into service as chief engineer of that district. He served until the close of the war and was honorably discharged
in 1865, after which he returned to civil pursuits. He was employed as assistant chief engineer in the building
of the West Wisconsin and St. Paul Railway, and later as chief engineer of the Wabasba & Lake Superior Railroad.
The ill health of his wife made is necessary to seek a milder climate and in 1873 he located in Los Angeles. In
June of that year he came to Riverside as chief engineer and superintendent of El Sobrante de San Jacinto rancho,
later engaged in the construction of the canals of the Riverside Water Company's system. In October he brought
his family here and the next year bought the block of land lying between Sixth and Seventh and Maine and Orange
streets and established their home, entering enthusiastically in the upbuilding of the town. The desirable location
of his home and the lack of accommodation for the traveling public induced him to open his house for their comfort
and convenience, naming in the "Glenwood Cottage," which soon became well and favorably known and the
patronage grew until it became necessary to enlarge the quarters and year after year he added to his cottage home,
from which has developed the Glenwood Mission Inn of Riverside, famed throughout the world for its model appointments
and entertainment. During all these years Captain Miller continued his duties as civil engineer, engaged in enterprises
in California and Arizona. He was chief engineer in the construction of the Gage canal system that has meant so
much to the welfare of this city. In 1881 he retired, selling out the Glenwood Hotel to his son, Frank A., the
In 1852 Captain Miller was united in marriage with Miss Mary Clark, a daughter of Dr. Clark, a physician of Lorain
county, Ohio. Mrs. Miller, who came from good old Quaker stock, was a lady of culture and refinement and the marriage
proved most fortunate, as she was above all else a real home maker - than which there can be no task nobler, higher
or worthier for any woman. As her children look back into those vanished years they remember her as one in whose
gentle nature were found mingled the elements of sweetness and light in union with a deep, quiet firmness, that
could not be moved for it was based upon an unfaltering trust in the eternal goodness of God. The Mission Inn of
today, conducted by her son and daughter, has been in part the result of the inspiration flowing from her life
in the pioneer days of Riverside.
To Captain and Mrs. Miller four children were born: Emma who became the wife of G. O. Newman; Frank A., who married
Miss Isabella Demorest Hardenberg; Alice, who married F. W. Richardson; and Edward E., who married Miss Emma C.
History of Riverside County, California
With a Biographical Review
History by Elmer Wallace Holmes
And other well known writers
Historic Record Company
Los Angeles, California 1912
Riverside County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium