EARL G. WILSON.
One of the progressive business men of Napa is Earl G. Wilson, whose indomitable courage, persistent and aggressive
efforts and excellent management have brought to him the prosperity which today is his. He has ever stood ready
to do what he could in pushing forward the wheels of progress and advancing commercial prosperity in this vicinity
and his career, both private and public, has been one worthy of the high esteem which those knowing him best freely
accord. Mr. Wilson is a native of New York state, where he was born on the 1st day of September, 1880, and he was
nine years of age when his father brought the family to California, locating in Trinity county.
Earl G. Wilson obtained his education in the schools of Junction City, Trinity county, and then obtained work in
the electrical department of the gold mines, being employed in the Ciepe and La Grange mines. When eighteen years
of age he went to San Francisco and went to work in the electrical shop of D. D. Wass. Subsequently he went to
Oakland and worked for the Oakland Traction Company and for the Bay Counties Power Company. In search of further
experience, he went up into the high Sierras and was employed at construction work for electric companies in Gold
Run, You Bet and other mining towns of Placer county. In 1900 Mr. Wilson came to Napa and went to work for O. E.
Clark, who owned and operated the Napa Electric Company, which was later sold to the Pacific Gas and Electric Company,
and continued to work for the latter company until in October, 1905, when he engaged in business on his own account,
on electric wiring contracts. He bought a stock of electric wire and supplies, which cost him one hundred and fifty
six dollars, and with this modest start he began business. During the subsequent years his business has steadily
grown until today he has a fine, well stocked store and a fully equipped electric shop and is in command of his
full share of the local trade. In his contract work Mr. Wilson has installed the wiring and fixtures in practically
all of the new and modern business blocks and residences built in Napa in recent years, including the Bank of Napa
building, the Bank of Italy building, the First National Bank building, the three new school houses recently completed
in Napa, the high school building at Sonoma, the Lake county high school and other prominent structures. He has
been painstaking and reliable in the discharge of every contract into which he enters and has gained an enviable
reputation as a dependable and trustworthy man to deal with.
Mr. Wilson is a member of Yount Lodge No. 12, Free and Accepted Masons; Fidelity Lodge No. 23, of which he is past
chancellor; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; was president of the Napa Rotary Club in 1924, and is now a director
of the same; is vice president of the Napa Chamber of Commerce and is a director of the Napa Building and Loan
Association. He also is a member of the Napa Golf and Country Club and the Napa Sporting Club. He married Miss
Maude Burrell, who was born and reared in Napa, and they have two children, Burrell, aged twelve years, and Wayne,
who is five years old. Mr. Wilson is a man of fine personality and genial in his social intercourse, is public
spirited in his attitude toward all measures for the betterment of his community and stands high in the confidence
and esteem of all who know him.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium