FRANK A. POND.
The Pond family, which was numbered among the early settlers in Napa county, is very creditably represented in
the present generation by Frank A. Pond, substantial painting contractor of Napa, who has long been one of the
most prominent citizens of this locality and has built up a highly commendable reputation. He was born in Napa,
in the house in which he now lives, on the 12th of April, 1868, and is a son of John E. and Amanda E. (Ritchey)
Pond, the former of whom was a native of Massachusetts and the latter of Illinois, both now being deceased.
John E. Pond came to California in the middle '50s and for a while was engaged in teaching school. He later studied
law and was admitted to the bar, engaging in the active practice of that profession at Napa. He was subsequently
chosen district attorney of Napa county and later was elected justice of the peace, which position he was holding
at the time of his death, which occurred in 1879. Of the children born to him and his wife, two are now living,
Frank A. and Mrs. Lillie Good. Our subject's maternal grandfather was Colonel W. D. Ritchey, a native of Virginia,
who crossed the plains to California in 1846. He was a member of the historic Donner party but before reaching
his destination separated himself from that party and eventually arrived in the Sacramento valley, stopping at
Sutter's Fort. Later he located in Sonoma county and finally came to Calistoga, Napa county, where he took up a
tract of government land, to the cultivation of which he devoted himself, also engaging in stock raising. He built
a good home in Calistoga, which is still standing and is known as the Tucker House. Colonel Ritchey became very
prominent in the activities of that locality, and the first Presbyterian church society in Napa county was formed
in his home in Calistoga. He later moved to Oak Knoll, Napa county, and the house he built there is still standing
His daughter, our subject's mother, was twelve years of age when the family made the overland trip to this state,
and she attained the age of eighty two years.
Frank A. Pond secured his education in the public schools, and on the completion of his studies he went to Healdsburg,
Sonoma county, where he learned the painting trade. Later he returned to Napa and entered the employ of Charles
Pearch, for whom he worked for a few years. In 1890 he started in business on his own account, and he has been
very successful, having handled many of the largest contracts in his line in this locality. His first job was the
painting of the rotunda of the Napa Soda Springs Hotel, and among other contracts which he has handled was the
painting of the Napa county court house, the Presbyterian and Methodist churches, the intermediate and Washington
public schools, the hospital at the Veterans Home, the Goodman bank building, the Odd Fellows building and many
of the largest and finest residences in the county. The high quality of his work has been his best and most effectual
advertisement, and for many years he has been considered a leader in his line in this section of the county.
Fraternally Mr. Pond is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of the Maccabees and the Native Sons of the Golden West. He was married to
Miss Alberta Kimberlin, who is a native of Kansas, and they are the parents of two sons, Frederick R., a graduate
of Leland Stanford University and now an instructor in DePauw University, at Greencastle, Indiana; and Donald F.,
who is a student in the University of California.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium