CHARLES S. PINER.
Charles S. Piner, who is widely known as the proprietor of Finer's hot sulphur springs, at Calistoga. He was born
at Santa Rosa, Sonoma county, California, on the 14th of July, 1858. His father was one of the pioneer settlers
in Lake county, and on his arrival there he bought a one hundred and sixty acre ranch, for which he gave a yoke
of oxen and four hundred dollars in cash. He was engaged extensively in stock raising, in which he met with fine
success, and he also established a dairy farm in that county.
Charles S. Piner attended the district schools during his youth and then went to Kelseyville, Lake county, where
he learned the trade of a butcher, and for a time he was engaged in that business there. Later he went to Middletown,
Lake county, and embarked in the general mercantile business, remaining there until 1911, when he came to Calistoga
and bought one acre of ground, on which he established the resort which under his management has become favorably
known all over the state. He has made many permanent and substantial improvements on the place from year to year,
and it now is one of the best equipped and most popular resorts in the central part of the state. There are thirty
cottages on the grounds, and there is a complete hot sulphur bath equipment, including the sulphur baths, plunges
and hot mud baths.
Mr. Piner has taken a good citizen's interest in everything affecting the welfare of the entire community. He was
one of the founders and is now the vice president of the Calistoga National Bank, and he was a member of the board
of town trustees for four years. Fraternally he is a member of the Woodmen of the World. Mr. Piner is married and
has two sons: Frank A., who is teller in the Calistoga National Bank; and Paul R., who is engaged in the grocery
business in this city.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium