CHARLES A. LIERMAN.
Among the sterling natives of the old Blue Grass state who have become worthy residents of Napa county and have
contributed their quota to the development and prosperity of this community stands Charles A. Lierman, who has
gained a prominent position among the business men of this locality and who has in every way merited the splendid
success which has crowned his well directed efforts.
Mr. Lierman was born in Newport, Kentucky, on the 10th of February, 1877, and he is a son of Charles and Catherine
(Klump) Lierman, the former of whom was for many years engaged in the meat business. Both parents are now deceased.
The father was a veteran of the Civil war, having fought through that great struggle in the Union army, as a member
of an Ohio regiment. Our subject received his education in the public schools, though the school of experience
has been his greatest teacher. At the early age of twelve years he went to work in a cotton factory, where he remained
for about a year, and he then learned the baking trade. After his elder brother left home, Charles A. Lierman,
at the age of fourteen years, entered his father's butcher shop and thoroughly learned the meat business. In 1898,
at the age of twenty two years, he left home and went to Denver, Colorado, where he remained about seven months,
going from there to Pueblo and a year later going to the Cripple Creek district, where he remained for two years
and three months. He came to California in 1901, locating in San Bernardino, where he remained for a time and then
moved to Angels Camp, in Calaveras county. Some time later he came to Napa and entered the employ of a Mr. Knox,
at sixty dollars a month, and remained with him for eleven years. The ensuing two years he spent in Nevada, being
employed in driving freight teams, and he then returned to California, locating for a short time in Suisun, Solano
county His next move was back to Napa, where he reentered the employ of Mr. Knox, but two years later he entered
into a partnership with F. Garwood and opened the Lincoln meat market, on First street, and in this enterprise
they were successful.
In July, 1919, Mr. Lierman took over the Napa market, known as the Knox market, in partnership with John Brown,
but in April, 1923, he acquired the sole ownership of the business, while in April, 1924, he bought Mr. Garwood's
interest in the Lincoln market; so that he is now conducting both markets on his own account. He is an energetic
and enterprising business man, exercising sound judgment in all of his transactions, and he has so managed his
affairs that he is now numbered among the eminently successful business men of Napa. He does his own buying and
butchering, thus insuring his customers the best quality of meat, and also manufactures his own sausage and other
prepared meats. He enjoys a large and steadily increasing trade and holds the respect and confidence of all who
have dealings with him.
Mr. Lierman was married to Miss Mae Hussey, whom he had known from childhood, when they were schoolmates. They
are the parents of two daughters: Virginia, who is the wife of J. W. Dickey; and Hazel. Politically Mr. Lierman
has always supported the republican ticket and has taken a good citizen's interest in public affairs. He is a member
of the Free and Accepted Masons, in which he has taken the Rayal Arch degree of the York Rite and the fifteenth
degree in the Scottish Rite, and he also belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, the Royal Neighbors, the Benevolent
Protective Order of Elks and the Napa Kiwahis Club. He is a man of genial and friendly manner, courteous and accommodating
in. business and standing for all that is best in community life, these qualities having won for him the unbounded
confidence and good will of the entire community.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium