Biography of R. Roy Leveira
Napa County, CA Biographies





R. ROY LEVEIRA.
The mineral springs of Napa county have become famous and are favorably known throughout the Pacific coast, thousands of people coming here for relief from physical ailments, and the pioneer in making use of nature's wonderful resources in this direction is R. Roy Leveira, who established and still conducts the Myrtledale hot springs, about one and a half miles north of Calistoga. A native son of California, he was born at Oakley, Contra Costa county, on the 31st of May, 1876. He secured a good public school education and then, at the age of seventeen years, he went to Oakland, where he secured employment as a clerk in a dry goods store owned by James A. Joyce. Later he was similarly employed in San Jose and Santa Cruz. He then was engaged in the grocery business on his own account at Grove and Twenty-eighth streets, Oakland, continuing thus until 1911, when he disposed of the business and, coming to Napa county, bought a ranch of twenty six acres, about a mile and a half north of Calistoga.

Mr. Leveira cultivated the land for about three years and then, having recognized the valuable curative qualities of the hot springs on his place, the waters of which he had analyzed, he established what he named the Myrtledale hot springs. From a small beginning this has steadily grown in equipment and in popularity until now it is one of the most pretentious and best patronized resorts in the west. They have been appropriately called "the springs that made the Napa valley famous," for many who came here because of their need of curative treatment were attracted by the other favorable features of this locality and have advertised it far and wide. Mr. Leveira has five large springs and a spouting geyser on his place, the waters of which contain soda, iron, magnesia and sulphur in liberal quantities, the quality of the water having earned for Mr. Leveira the only gold medal awarded for mineral water at the California State Fair at Sacramento in 1924, and he also was awarded a gold medal for one hundred per cent mineral water by the State Agricultural Society. Mr. Leveira was the first man to advertise the advantages of the Napa valley as a summer resort and he has spent ninety-two thousand dollars in improvements on his place, starting to build in 1914. His rooms are heated with the natural hot water from the springs, and the sulphur baths and swimming tank can be regulated in temperature to suit the needs of those using them. The Oakland baseball club of the Pacific Coast League came here in 1921 to train and found the conditions so ideal and the effect on the members of the team so beneficial that they have trained at the Myrtledale springs each year since.

Mr. Leveira has taken a good citizen's interest in the general welfare of the locality in which he lives and gives his earnest support to every measure for the betterment of the community in any way. Fraternally he is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks at Napa, the Woodmen of the World at Oakland, the Napa County Grange, the Calistoga parlor of the Sons of the Golden West, the Calistoga Rotary Club and the Calistoga Golf Club. He is a trustee of the Calistoga union high school, is president of the Calistoga Chamber of Commerce and is a member of the Chambers of Commerce at Napa, St. Helena and Sacramento. In 1898 he was married to Miss May Rose, and they are the parents of a daughter, Mrs. Genevieve Coleman.

From:
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
and Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago 1926


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Napa County, CA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012