ST. GOTHARD'S GENERAL HOSPITAL.
Among the many beneficent institutions of Napa and Solano counties is St. Gothard's Hospital, which is one of the
best appointed and best managed establishments of its kind in the west. It is located on the main highway in the
heart of the Napa valley, just beyond the boundaries of the town of St. Helena, and is approximately two and a
half hours from Sacramento and only about an hour longer from any of the Bay cities. It is finely situated, for
the Napa valley has long been famous for its ideal climate, no district in California having more sunshine or a
more even and pleasant temperature.
St. Gothard's Hospital was opened to the public July 11, 1921, as a nerve rest and rejuvenator, and its success
from the start has been pronounced, it being practically unsurpassed for its particular purpose. It is fully equipped
in every respect and has been enthusiastically commended by many who have taken advantage of the opportunities
afforded there for the regaining of health and strength. It is a thirty bed hospital, the main building having
spacious, airy bedrooms and private baths, broad verandas and all the conveniences of a city home. There is a modern,
well equipped operating room, a complete laboratory, a maternity home, separate from the main hospital, and a number
of private bungalows on the grounds, on which there are fine mineral springs. There are four acres of beautiful,
well kept grounds, a delightful section of which contains lawn seats, swings and an aviary. An efficient staff
of competent graduate nurses is always in attendance to give individual and sympathetic attention to those convalescing
from operations or serious illness and to the sufferers from sleeplessness or tired nerves. The food is prepared
in a modern and well equipped kitchen, under the direction of an expert dietitian, meals being served in rooms
or in the closed or open air dining rooms, the tables being abundantly supplied with chicken, squab, fruit of every
kind and fresh vegetables, which are grown on the place. A resident physician is always at hand and outside physicians
are cordially welcomed. No drug or alcoholic patients are received at St. Gothard's, nor any violent patients.
The place is heated by electricity, and everything about the establishment suggests the evident desire on the part
of the owner to serve the wishes and needs of the patients. An independent ice making plant is maintained, and
there is also an emergency room. Signal bells connect all the rooms with the office, and there are different wards
for both sexes.
St. Gothard's Hospital was established by C. Broniscoe, who came to this country in early childhood. He was reared
and educated in the east and for a time was employed as a salesman in Pennsylvania. He is a veteran of the Spanish-American
war, serving in the Philippine islands from 1898 to 1903. About eight years ago he and his wife established the
Park West Hydro & Sanitarium, at No. 601 Steiner avenue, San Francisco, which has a capacity of twenty five
beds, and they also continue to operate that place. They are thoroughly qualified for the important work which
they are doing, and through their efforts hundreds have regained health and strength.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium