ERVINE W. DOUGHTY.
The record of Ervine W. Doughty, a successful building contractor of Napa county, has been such as to elicit just
praise from those who know him best. He is a native of Portland, Maine, born on the 12th of April, 1868, and he
exhibits in his makeup the sturdy qualities of his Yankee ancestors His parents, George W. and Lucia C. (Jordan)
Doughty, are both deceased, the father dying in 1912 and the mother in 1924. They also were natives of Maine, and
the father was a veteran of the Civil war, having served as a member of the Seventeenth Regiment, Maine Volunteer
Infantry. In 1881 he came west, locating first in Arizona, whence in 1885 he came to Napa, California. He was a
carpenter and building contractor and was engaged in business here under the firm name of Doughty & Son. During
his active career he built the old Winship block, now the Henessey block, the E. H. Winship home, the annex to
the County Hospital, the C. H. Farman block and many residences which are still standing in this locality. In 1896
he moved to Palo Alto. He was a member of the Napa post, Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows. To him and his wife were born three children, namely: Ervine W., the immediate subject of this
sketch; Frank, of Burlingame, California; and Mrs. F. F. Jeffers, of San Jose, California, where her husband is
director of music in the public schools.
Ervine W. Doughty received a public school education and supplemented this by a course in the Napa Business College,
from which he was graduated in 1886. He then turned his attention to his father's business, learning the carpenter's
trade and becoming associated with his father as a partner. Since 1896 he has operated alone and has continued
the successful record which characterized his father's labors, having erected some of the most pretentious buildings
in and around Napa, including among others the Register block, the glue factory, the Behlew block, the Migliavacca
block, the Goodman public library, the H. Shwarz block, and the Frank Noyes, A. P. Voorhees, A. G. Prouty and Hunter
residences. Mr. Doughty is a competent builder and is absolutely reliable, so that he has long enjoyed a high measure
of public confidence and esteem. He is of an artistic turn of mind and has designed many fine bungalows and residences.
Mr. Doughty resides on a thirty acre ranch on the Napa Soda Springs road. This property had been devoted to dairy
purposes before he acquired it, and it was largely unimproved, but he has had a fine opportunity to give rein to
his artistic nature, and the result of his efforts is that today he has one of the show places of the Napa valley.
His home is modern and attractive, embodying every up to date convenience, while his land has been set out to fruit,
mainly prunes and cherries. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to all branches of
the fraternity, and he also belongs to the Napa lodge, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and the Napa Kiwanis
Club. He was married to Miss Emma L. Elkington, a native of Napa county, and they have two children: Harold, who
is married and is the father of two children; and Lois.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium