CHARLES E. BUTLER.
One of the representative citizens of Napa county is Charles E. Butler, of Calistoga, who there conducts a service
station for motorists and is also rendering efficient performance of the duties of town trustee. He has made his
influence felt for good in this community, his life having been closely interwoven with its history for many years.
Not only because of his splendid personality and his business success but also because of the fact that he is a
representative of one of the early families that led the van of civilization into this favored region, he is eminently
deserving of mention in a permanent record of the community.
Mr. Butler is a native of Napa county, having been born in the Napa valley on the 19th of June, 1861, and he is
a son of Champ and Emaline (Lilly) Butler. His parents were natives of Illinois, from which state both started
on the long journey across the plains in 1850, though in separate trains. Our subject's uncle, Doc Lilly, was captain
of the train of covered wagons which brought the members of his family. He and Champ Butler eventually became owners
of the White Sulphur springs. To Champ and Emaline Butler were born six children: James, Otis, Charles E., Asa,
William and Mrs. Lilly Brown. Charles E. Butler was reared in Napa and Sonoma counties, his early education being
obtained in the first school held in Calistoga, the sessions of which were held in the Methodist church, as no
schoolhouse had been built at that time. He then went to Sonoma county, where he lived until he was nineteen years
of age, when he came to Calistoga and went to work in his mother's vineyard in the Napa valley. Later he planted
a vineyard of his own there, which he continued to manage until 1913, when he sold it. Coming to Calistoga, he
established and is still operating a service station at No. 508 Lincoln avenue, where he enjoys a splendid patronage.
He is also serving on the board of town trustees.
Mr. Butler was married to Miss Etta Monroe, a native of Sonoma county, and they are the parents of two sons: Walter
M., who is agent for the Union Ice Company, of Calistoga; and Howard C., who is with the Southern Pacific railroad
at Oak Knoll. Mrs. Butler's parents were natives of Missouri and were true pioneers of the Pacific coast, having
crossed the plains to Oregon in the second train of wagons to cross the continent in 1846. Mrs. Butler has in her
possession a greatly prized chair which was brought by her parents from their Missouri home and which is still
in a fine state of preservation. She also has the deeds to lots at Soscol, which General Vallejo gave to her father.
The latter was a storekeeper in Coloma and in Sacramento in 1851, afterward coming to Yountville, Napa county,
and later becoming a resident of Sonoma county.
Mr. Butler is the only living charter member of the Calistoga parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West and
is an honorary member of the order at large, there being but three other honorary members in the entire state.
The Calistoga lodge was founded in 1886. Mr. Butler is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium