WILLIAM A. BINGHAM.
In touching upon the career of William A. Bingham, well known citizen of St. Helena, it is difficult to avoid extravagant
praise, for his has been the distinction of a true, useful and honorable life a life characterized by perseverance,
energy, charity and well defined purpose. Mr. Bingham was born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, on the 10th
of August, 1849, and was reared and educated in that locality. He remained there until he had attained his majority
and then went to Nottingham, Ohio, where he remained until September 1, 1874, when he came to San Francisco, California.
At that time he was in ill health and in order to derive the benefit of open air employment he became a piano and
organ advertising man. He was successful in regaining his health, and he later became agent for S. Addison, a lumber
dealer in Sacramento, having charge of the yard at Folsam. Here, in addition to all kinds of lumber, he also carried
a full line of miners' supplies. He spent three years in that position and then, in 1879, he located in St. Helena
and entered the employ of J. H. Steves, plumber and hardware dealer, with whom he remained for twenty five years.
He next became manager of the plumbing department of Rossi & Anderson, and eventually he engaged in the plumbing
business on his own account. He was eminently successful in this enterprise, his establishment becoming widely
known as one of the most reliable plumbing houses in this locality, and he conducted the business until 1912, when
he retired from active affairs. As a business man Mr. Bingham was alert and energetic, and he conducted his affairs
according to the highest ethics, at all times enjoying the absolute confidence of all who had dealings with him.
In 1883 Mr. Bingham was married to Miss Anna Carver, who was born and reared in Ohio, a daughter of John and Sarah
Carver. She died in February, 1924. Mr. Bingham is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, of which time honored
order he became a member at Folsam in 1876. In 1887 he joined Islam temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at San
Francisco, of which he is the oldest living member. Mr. Bingham was mayor of St. Helena and gave the city a very
satisfactory and businesslike administration, and he also served for twelve years as a member of the board of town
trustees. He has always taken an active interest in the progress and improvement of the city, and he was largely
instrumental in having Pine street extended from Main street through to the Southern Pacific railroad depot. He
was a charter member of the Napa lodge of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and was an honored member of
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Bingham's chief characteristics have been
fidelity of purpose, keenness of perception, unswerving integrity and sound common sense, qualities which have
earned for him the sincere respect and good will of his fellowmen.
History of Solano County, California
BY: Marguerite Hune
Napa County, California
BY: Harry Lawrence Gunn
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Napa County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium